The Bantam Menace!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dbjay417, Jan 27, 2008.

1. dbjay417

dbjay417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    This lil SOB comes into my yard and makes dishonest hens of my chickens!! My rooster is a monster like 3 times his size, but hes young and as gentle as can be.

A lot of people have chickens around here, but i think this chicken is wild. Once it sees me in the yard, it runs and flys like its life or death. Once my father and I caught it and it screeched non stop until we let it go. I dont think its ever been handled by humans. or at least not in ages.

Will this guy cause my hens to stray from the yard, or lay in the tall grass and bushes where the roo must live?

If there is, i'll either catch it and tame it, or yank its neck.

BTW: I think hes OEG. They raise them a lot for fighting in these parts.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  2. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    careful about talking about the rule that shall not be named..

3. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    What he will do is fertilize your hens. So if you want your rooster to be the genetics, better do something with the bantam. good luck.

4. dbjay417

Dec 14, 2007
    Bawkadoodledoo- are you refering to fighting?

I dont condone that at all. Its legal here and a multimillion dollar industry, I couldn't talk about chicken from a local perspective without mentioning it.

Thats why i could never bring shamos or siapan jungle fowl here. i know if I ever sold chicks, they'd end up in the pit. To each their own, but I wont be supporting it.

i went to a fight once. When i first arrived, because a lot of people here are into it. I found it was more offensive to my senses than I thought it would be. Now i can honestly say that i dont want anything to do with it. not just on principal but on firsthand experience.

5. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Hello,

Can't say what the little roo will do but ...

The banty rocks that live with my chickens have enticed them into the bushes to lay. They find a good spot and go in there and make little burring noises like some kind of tiny motor, and the girls follow them in and now will often lay in those spots.

It's like a daily Easter Egg hunt. [​IMG]

trish

6. dbjay417

Dec 14, 2007
    well as of today 7 eggs were laid in the three designated area. More hens have desided to lay outside of the house that i put out for them, but now they just lay in the structure they prefer to sleep in. Thankfully no one is laying in the bushes yet.

I'll have to get him with the Daisy if he doesn't make himself available for capture. I can't tresspass looking for eggs, and i really dont want more naked necks. i suppose i could always catch and sell the chicks if and when they come around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by