The Bearproofing test and Project - Plansand parts picture posted

FYI - We have had the field camera on every night.. But the bear has always attacked a pen that is not on film. (other than the black blob that apparently took the bacon bate)

I don't know your states policies, our's you'd be SOL. But in my opinion this is a bruin that has developed into such a danger that I would recommend it's removal and destruction.
We have such protections in place that the best the state could offer is to trap and relocate IF they had someone available to monitor the trap. I've offered to contract out this work even supplying my own traps but NO the state knows best.

Florida euthanized 15 bears last year.. So my chances are slim.

I appreciate wildlife, and I am a conservationist at heart. But at some point, this bear crossed the line, and i consider his latest attack to be too close to comfort.

Any animal that is willing to break into a BUILDING site unseen is too risky. That hardi siding is the same siding used on my house (I do have OSB sheething behind it, to be fair)..

Oh you're in Florida. My sincerest sympathies go out to you. Florida is FUBAR when it comes to wildlife control and is completely infiltrated at the management level.
I have to constantly stay on guard here because some our idiots in charge thinks our southern neighbor is all that and a box of crackers.

It was just 16 days ago that we had our first bear attack. Since then Mr. Bear has feasted on 1 turkey and 6 chickens. He has breached each of our three coops. It has been a crazy two weeks!!

Yesterday we finally finished all of the perimeter wiring. I still have to wire up the gates in and out of the pens, but here is where we stand right now.

The pigs are surrounded by 3 wires..

At each gate we burried an underground insulated wire, tied in to the braded poly each side of the gate

We hung the controller inside, we used two ground rods, and have three seperate "hot" feeds running out to different parts of the fence.

I am so sorry this bear is really a problem...I would suggest you contact your local game warden...the bear has had to many meals at your house to leave....next you'll be hot wiring your house to protect yourself.....I spoke with my game warden when I had a hawk problem and she helped me out.....they may trap and remove the bear, I believe they tag them and if their repeat offenders they take care of it......THIS IS TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT......
th.gif
~Charm

I know that I will upset the Teddy Bear huggers out there but since 2010 there have been 6 fetal Black Bear attacks in North America verses 10 fetal combined Grizzly, Brown, and Kodiak Bear attacks. Pound for pound then any hungry Black Bear is more dangerous than a Grizzly Bear with cubs. Your fast moving blurry bear picture sounds like your bear got a taste of Florida Electricity.

IMHO then this bear is dangerous, up to and including invading YOUR house, not just your turkey house, your chicken house, or your pig house and KILLING you or other members of your family.

Familiarly of wild animals with humans all to no ill effect to the animal, breeds contempt of humans, and this bear sounds about as contemptuous of you and yours as they ever get.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America#Black_bear

As the man in the Dos Equis beer commercial says, "Sleep lightly my friend and stay armed."

Back
Top Bottom