The Best Chickens to Make a Profit With

You should look around your area and see what other breeds are readily available, as well as check if you have any hatcheries nearby. For example, if there are 4 other people in your area that are breeding buff orpingtons, then you should think twice about breeding them. (Random example, just first breed that came to mind). Maybe pick a breed that lays gorgeous eggs or has other qualities that are not so common in your area. 😊

Because I feel as though I can make more profit selling day old chicks than just selling fertile eggs. I also love the experience of hatching eggs.

I would not choose an autosexing breed if you're going to try and sell day-old chicks. If folks can tell the boys from the girls ... you'll end up with a bunch of boys that won't sell.

Instead of going with any particular breed, you could choose something to breed for ... like blue eggs, olive eggs ... or dual purpose breeds that are meaty enough for people looking to eat the cockerels. Speaking in terms of feed to egg production, leghorns are realllly hard to beat - but of course the boys don't amount to much

Because I feel as though I can make more profit selling day old chicks than just selling fertile eggs. I also love the experience of hatching eggs.

Also - I would implore you not to use broody hens to hatch chicks you plan to sell as day olds. Having had many broody hens and more hatches than I can count - I couldn't imagine taking her chicks before she has weaned them. Nor could I take the chick away from the momma hen who talked them all the way through hatching. The bond is there. Please, please, please use an incubator if you're planning to sell day olds.

You'll have to research your area. What breeders are nearby, market, customer base, what breeds are desirable in your area, etc. Or whats not available. Some people just go nuts over certain breeds but none are available in their area at a reasonable price and noone wants to order chicks from say greenfire farms of a specific rare breed for $50-100 per chick and pay shipping but if you have some your hatching of the same breed that are of reasonable quality then there you go. $10-20 a chick.

Now my area i would like to do that but not many people will pay that for a chick and the majority don't necessarily care if its pure or not. An example I can't find someone local with true ameraucanas but I've seen many ads on Facebook or craigslist that say they have them but after questioning and seeing pics they have Easter eggers.

If I was you get breeds that you like and focus on one specific market. Say egg production. Sell eating eggs and if you have pure breeds sell hatching eggs too. One pen egg production and a mix of breeds and your favorite breed in the other like a particular bantam.

I totally agree with @Shezadandy . Leave the chicks with their momma. Sell most them as pullets at point of lay. Keep the prettiest/best standard for youre breeding program and see if you can change roosters with members of a breeding club for a healthy flock.

You could go for prize winning bantams like Dutch to breed with. I know (most) big hatcheries don’t sell pure Dutch but mixes (probably mixed with OEG) . And it’s hard to obtain good looking Dutch in the US. So if you can get hold of a few beautiful Dutch it might work to get it more or less profitable to sell fertilized eggs. Best try a breeding program with just one color. Maybe Serama’s or Sebright will do too. But they dont lay much eggs.

Other bantam breeds that do well in Europe , are good mothers and possibly quit rare in the US are : bantam Vorwerk, Belgian Uccles, bantam Auracana and bantam Cochin.

A little bigger bantams and better layers : RIR, New Hampshire, Amrock and Bielefelder.

Back
Top Bottom