The best lgd

P-Funk

Songster
9 Years
Feb 20, 2011
Franktown
I haven't lost a single girl since I put up 2x4 wire around the driveway area between the houses where they can free range.
ya.gif
Plus the new guard puppy doesn't hurt.
wee.gif
That was 3 weeks ago. It doesn't bother me to see fox fur in his mouth. He's a Decker Rat Terrier and I believe his presense alone keeps predators away. Not sure how to spell pesense. That just means he's here. Some english majors son, right?

Last edited:
I don't know about your dog or situation, but my Great Pyrenees has to face down wolves and coyotes out on remote pasture under all weather conditions. LGDs are large for this reason. Anything smaller, and it might become a meal for the wolf.

TDM -- Where are you in the UP? That's good to know that wolves don't seem to bother your GP! I have heard sad stories of what wolves will do to a dog up there.

I'd hope my chow/shepard would have the good sense to run and tell me if he sees a wolf, he's a good bird dog but no match for anything much bigger, esp coyote...now, the 3 new pups(shepard/mastif) together will keep them away (in a few months) Just the scent alone may shy a wolf, but coyote consider dogs as prey now so there you go

Quote:
The chickens are on pasture in north Delta County. Great Pyrenees put on quite a show when trying to deter a predator. The furry tails are flying in the air like a large flag, and they have quite a deep bark. They seem fearless. Fortunately there is a four foot electric poultry fence separating the LGD from the wolf, which makes the wolf think twice. I do believe that a large wolf would be able to take down my 120 pound LGD, but the wolf may suffer some damage.

A wolf tried to eat my neighbors lap dog just last month.

Presence. That makes sence. My girls are all loving life, which means I am. I have always had very large dogs (not Great Pyrenees, though) who died of natural causes. The vet swore this little guy 'is an 80 pound dog in a 40 pound package'. It's like having a kid though, don't even think of leaving him alone for 2 minutes or anything not bolted down will suffer. I can't wait till he's a teen.
80433_8-7-11.jpg

Usually the wolf/dog stories I've heard were about bear hunting dogs or dogs smaller than your GP. I would think that a wolf would think twice before dealing with him/her!

Back
Top Bottom