1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The best nest box bedding!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bald k9, Mar 10, 2011.

1. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Hello hope this is the correct place for this!!! What is the best nest box bedding? I currenly use pine shavings for the floor and straw in the nest box ,I ask this question because all then hens lay in only one box [even tho i have 10 hole nest box] the eggs work their way thru the straw to the bottom, so i have to dig around ,and the straw gets everywhere! the boxes are about 7 or 8 inches deep thanks for the suggestions

2. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

I've used both pine shavings and straw, but my hen dig it all out till it's a bare bottom. Then some of the eggs crack. Need advice.......

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I use plastic nest pads. Work great and easy to clean.

4. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    I use pine needles I rake up. The long soft ones from white pines, they love it.

5. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Most of the time I use hay; sometimes I use the pine shavings. I always have hay for the goats & the zebu, but I don't always have shavings.

6. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    For my full grown chickens, I use hay. For my bantam silkies, I use pine needles. I think they like it better. I have used hay before, but I find it all over the place. The pine needles tend to stay in their boxes more.

7. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    In my egg layer coop 10 hole nest boxes I have straw. In my Wellsummers room I have milk crates with pine shavings with the front side cut with 3 inches on the bottom. I have a piece of plywood in the bottom of the milk crates to keep the pine shavings inside.

Nate

8. Jasmine130

Jasmine130 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    Redwood City, California
    Downstairs in the enclosed coop/run, my chooks have mostly dirt with some hay. They kick the hay all around and dig pits to sit in and dustbathe. I let them re-decorate to their taste and just clean it out once or twice a week.

Upstairs in the roost...that's a different story. They have mostly timothy hay, with some regular hay mixed in. They sometimes lay eggs up there (if not in their next boxes in the ark). They swirl the hay into a chicken-shaped oval and lay there. One time I opened the little door to the loft just in time for Celeste to lay an egg practically in my hand.
    That was groovy!

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I use hay it's been the ticket thus far.

10. mkeawsh

mkeawsh Woody Hollow

Sep 23, 2007
    Beaufort, MO
    Pine shavings. I used to use both shavings and hay and the hens hated it. Would lay on the floor in the shavings instead of going into a nest box. So, they rule the roost and so now it's just shavings. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by