The Best Place to Live in the United States?

No not yet cause it has not been challenged. Ca has a gun permit but in most countys you have to me someone special to get it. There's the whole equality thing out the window right there. They think you can have a gun only in the home but the constitutions says otherwise.

They also ban many simi-auto guns on top of the ban on full auto weapons the Fed has. Both are unconstitutional. The ban law was only challenged once an it was over a short shotgun. The court ruled that the second amendment was about defending yourself an your state in a military way. They said that a short shotgun had no military value so it could be banned. Full auto guns have not been challenged but if you hold them to that same standard they would have to rule that they have military value an cant be banned.

I don't like playing favorites with permits, that's for sure.

We have concealed handgun permits in Texas, and it seems to work well. Criminals are going to carry concealed handguns no matter what the law is, so you might as well allow law-abiding residents to carry a concealed handgun.

I would argue that shotguns have military value. They work really well in close combat.

I don't think semi-automatic weapons should be banned. I have mixed feelings about fully automatic weapons. I want law-abiding citizens to be able to own automatic weapons, but on the other hand I worry that some nut will get a machine gun and kill a large number of people.

That is one of the big dangers of living in a free society.

Other states regulate people's freedoms...like Alabama and Texas. Both of those states presumably allow more freedoms (in regards to guns and property), but what about their restrictions on adult items? I would post a link, but not sure its family friendly. PM me if you want it. All states have restrictions on different things...hard to say which ones are more intrusive on our freedoms when you really examine things.

That is a very good point.

As I mentioned, in our federalist system each state can have different laws to meet the desires of their residents. Places like Texas are more socially conservative than California, but California is more restrictive on things like guns.

Whether the laws passed in states are constitutional will have to be worked out in the courts.

It's killing me. We're always the state that's known for medical Marijuana, but not the rich cultures, farm lands, the fact that we have mountains, deserts, valleys and ocean all in one place. Some of the to resturants are here and since it goes back and forth, most times the top vineyards and wines. Lots of attractions and types or sports, hunting, fishing and on and on. Most of the produce everyone eats comes from here. Granted it doesn't taste as good everywhere else, but it's sent from California People act like everyone here is a pothead! I've been here 50 years, so yeah I know potheads, but not many and if I was smelling the garbage I'd be sick as a dog. Can't stand the smell. And it's still illegal in most cases. We're all crazy tree huggers and have no morals. I can tell you I have run into more drug addicts and lose moraled people in other states just visiting a week, than I do here. Maybe I shouldn't count my area though. It was temporary while our house was in escrow and my husband was waiting for his 100% disability to finally be paid through the VA. He died the same month he got his first check, so now I'm looking in other areas but still stuck here for now. . I like Modesto, but don't love it and my area is the second worse area you can live in in Modesto. As far as morals and what we do here I think that's only due to people who listen to others who are set to judge anything that isn't to their liking. Still we're all considered pot smokers. Funny how people move out here and ask where to go to get it. I just look at them like anyone else that asks a stuid question. BTW they are really cracking down on people who even have permits to grow it, so not like the stinky stuff is planted out by the roses. As far as Modesto I've been looking more towards Sac and somewhere near Travis AFB. I sure miss the Bay Area and regrete talking my husband into moving this direction.

I live in a heavily Latino area. Straight from Mexico most know English, but a lot of them are uneasy about using it. Kids DO translate, especially if it's for mom and the English speaking person is a man. My next door neighbor never speaks English but she understands it.

OK just mainly had to get my Mary Jane issues out there. That's always the first or only thing that comes up and I hate that we are not considered for our other attributes.

As you were. LOL

I'm glad you got that off your chest. I am sorry that your husband died.

When I tell people that I grew up in California, they ask if I lived on the beach. :) You are right that California has so much diversity geographically and agriculturally. I miss the mountains and the ocean. I miss trout fishing on small streams in the mountains. I'll get back there sometime.

People who come here to Texas expect to see people riding horses down the street. :)

Each state has its stereotypes, I guess.

Anywhere within 50 miles of Nashville TN. God's country.

So someone from Kentucky is telling me to move to the neighboring state of Tennessee?
smile.png

You need to explain yourself. Why don't you live in Tennessee? And why is the area around Nashville the best? I know Johnny Cash lived in that area, and that should be enough. :)

I can see that there are rural areas around Nashville, it's close to jobs (hopefully), and cost of living is reasonable. The weather is probably pretty good. Do they get snow in that area? Does this area have tornadoes?

Do they get snow in that area? Does this area have tornadoes?

Yes and yes, it just depends on the year. We also had a 1,000-year flood for May 2010. An F2 tornado hit downtown Clarksville in Jan 1999, and there have been others in the area (I am within that radius) over the dozen years since. Every spring/early summer of the past decade I have to clean up deadfall from my older trees in my yard. Winter weather has been the full spectrum in the past dozen years: ice storms are the most common, but the two winters before had more snow than others (with corresponding snow days for son).

If you're thinking of this area, the best option would be just on the TN side of the state line. TN has pretty much no income tax on individuals (there is something about interest income, but that affects very few) .... BUT, TN does charge sales tax on groceries while KY does not.

No place is perfect, but one thing I absolutely love about this area is the beautiful colors in the spring, starting around mid-March when the white dogwoods start blooming followed by the pink dogwoods then the purple wild plums, with the different greens of nonflowering budding trees around them and the wildflowers beneath them.

I love coastal southern New England, and have lived here all my life so far, but for years I've thought about moving to Oregon eventually. Southern, coastal Oregon. The climate is a little milder than here, about the same amount of winter daylight, maybe a little grayer in summer. But the dramatic Pacific shoreline is gorgeous, and the temperate rainforests are an outdoorsman's dream. Population density is much lower than in NE, too.

FWIW, lately there seems to be a trend of people migrating to the PNW, so it may be that a lot of people from larger urban areas in the East are getting restless.

I am sure Tennessee is beautiful. I have not been there yet, but I hope I will get to visit sometime.

The winter weather and the tornadoes mean Tennessee is off the list of best places to live in the U.S.

I love coastal southern New England, and have lived here all my life so far, but for years I've thought about moving to Oregon eventually. Southern, coastal Oregon. The climate is a little milder than here, about the same amount of winter daylight, maybe a little grayer in summer. But the dramatic Pacific shoreline is gorgeous, and the temperate rainforests are an outdoorsman's dream. Population density is much lower than in NE, too.

FWIW, lately there seems to be a trend of people migrating to the PNW, so it may be that a lot of people from larger urban areas in the East are getting restless.

Yeah, many people in the cities are restless for a more simple life.

If you move to the Oregon coast, you better like rain.

Back
Top Bottom