The BEST true bantam chicken breed

Best true bantam breed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don’t see them on the list but I love my little Dutch girls. I ended up with two Dutch Bantams at a TSC rando bin. Her sister went missing last fall but both have been super sweet and friendly. The surviving one, Vanilla, will fly up onto my shoulder and ride around for a while. Coffee, the missing one, loved to be picked up and hand fed.

They seem hard to find which is a bummer as I’d love to get a few more for my flock.

Technically there are no true bantam breeds since All chickens come from a common line of a single or multiple Jungle Fowl lines(Mostly Red and Grey Jungle Fowl)..
Teeny tiny bantam breeds if thats what you would prefer to call it, then.

Technically there are no true bantam breeds since All chickens come from a common line of a single or multiple Jungle Fowl lines(Mostly Red and Grey Jungle Fowl)..
Isn’t that similar to saying there’s no true miniature or toy dog breeds because they all descended from wolves or wolf-like ancestors? Or, alternatively, there are no true chicken (or dog) breeds, period? Yet, that makes no sense when you look at what the term “breed” means. The dictionary.com definition is:

a relatively homogenous group of animals within a species, developed and maintained by humans

From my understanding, a true bantam is a breed of chicken that has no large fowl equivalent. That they originally descended from large fowl really has no bearing on whether or not a bantam breed is true (has no large fowl equivalent) or false (has a large fowl equivalent).

Isn’t that similar to saying there’s no true miniature or toy dog breeds because they all descended from wolves or wolf-like ancestors? Or, alternatively, there are no true chicken (or dog) breeds, period? Yet, that makes no sense when you look at what the term “breed” means. The dictionary.com definition is:

From my understanding, a true bantam is a breed of chicken that has no large fowl equivalent. That they originally descended from large fowl really has no bearing on whether or not a bantam breed is true (has no large fowl equivalent) or false (has a large fowl equivalent).
Pretty much i think. :idunno

Back
Top Bottom