THE BETTER BREED OF DUCK?

BackyardAnita

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 18, 2012
I'm planning to get ducks soon and i have a couple questions.

-What is the difference between a Rouen and a Mallard?
-Are smaller size ducks less messy?
-Whats the best breed of duck?
-Is there a breed thats less messy? (I'm fine with some mess but it would be nice to have less)
-Does anybody know about the golden 300 hybrid ducks personality?
-Are Welch Harlequins a good backyard pet? (I'm going to have ducks as a backyard flock)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Mallards are migratory, are regulated, and require permits.

Rouens are domestic ducks who are mallard derived

All domestic type ducks make a mess, actually ducks just like water and mud

no one breed is better than another, you have to pick what you like the looks of as well as what you want the ducks for.

Rouens are giant sized mallards and they don't fly, if that matters. I don't think there is a better type of duck in general, it all depends on your living situation and your primary reason for getting ducks. If you mainly want eggs then khaki campbells and indian runners are good choices, I don't know anything about the golden 300s other than they were developed for high egg laying. If you need a quieter duck look into muscovies.

In my small flock, all the ducks are equally messy, it's just a duck thing.

I'm planning to get ducks soon and i have a couple questions.

-What is the difference between a Rouen and a Mallard?
The Rouen is a domestic breed of duck; Mallards are wild

-Are smaller size ducks less messy?
All ducks are messy - the difference between a heavyweight and light breed would be little to none and far as mess goes.

-Whats the best breed of duck?
That depends on what traits are most important to you. My personal favorites are Ancona, Pekin, and Welsh Harlequin. Here's a good breed comparison chart from Metzer Farms: http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm

-Is there a breed thats less messy? (I'm fine with some mess but it would be nice to have less)
Not that I know of.

-Are Welch Harlequins a good backyard pet? (I'm going to have ducks as a backyard flock)
I think so. Mine have been friendly and lay a lot of eggs. I think they are pretty, too.

If you're going to get ducks from a hatchery (rather than a local source), I highly recommend Metzer Farms or Holderread's Waterfowl.

Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom