The boy just won;t listen

DanEP

Crowing
12 Years
May 15, 2010
Cadiz Ky
Now I haven't been around chickens since i was about 6 yrs old (more than a couple of years ago)so i guess i would be a newbie.
We decided that we would like to give it try so we ordered 15 bo pullets and one roo. Well their 8 wks old now and doing fine.they have been in their coop and run now for about month and free ranging while we're home about four hours a day.
Now heres the problem the little roo seems to think that every time two of the girls get to fussin that he needs to get in the middle of it or if some one new walks up he has to run and check them out first.I really like it when I open the run and the girls run out in three different directions,he runs from this group to that group just to see what their doing.
Now if the boy keeps this up i don't think he's gonna live very long.
While i may be new to chickens I do have some live expirence I tried to pass along. In the way of background I grew up with 2 sisters
(no brothers), and got married young. For the last few years I've been living on 18 acres with wife, mother, mother in law,daughter,2 granddaughters.3 female dogs, and a neutered cat (son in law is smart hides out alot). So as you can see I can relate.
So any way I pulled the little guy of to the side and tried to explain a few things to him. First off when the girls are fussin if nobody's bleedin,DO NOT GET INVOLVED look around for some tall grass get in there and keep your head down.Next they really don't need you to protect them their tougher than you are (try layin an egg oww!). And lastly while your young you may belive that your in charge but thats only what they want you to think.
Now i know that the little roo can learn cuz it only took 1 time for him to learn that if you peck me in the shin I will take my finger and thump you upside the head so I had high hopes for him. unfortunitly as soon as I put him down he was right back to runnin arond like crazy gettin in the middle of everything again.
Oh well if he lives long enough maybe he'll come to realize that they pretty much just keep you around to kill spiders and make Micky Mouse panny cakes for the little ones. I wish him well
Dan

LOL!!!!
gig.gif

Funny, but he IS doing his job already! We lost our lovey rooster to a coyote (we think) a couple of weeks ago and the girls are just lost without him. He did keep order and always had to check things out if he heard any of them squawking, or if one was lingering away from the group, he' have to go herd her back to the rest of the flock. He took his job very seriously.

Beth

I say, I say, Boy, them hens are nothin' but trouble. You try to keep the peace between 'em, an' what they do? The go and bite your head off. Ain't no good, no good, I tell ya, Boy. BOY! Are you listenin'? Young uns these days, they don't listen at all, not at all I say. There just ain't no makin' them females happy, but I try, yeah I try. BOY! Put that calculator down, I'm tryin' to TEACH you somethin'.

Ms.FuzzyButts :

gig.gif
Too funny!! For some reason, I read that with you pictured as Foghorn Leghorn giving that speech!!!!!!

Me too
gig.gif

By the way Dan, I'd give up those high hopes for your little man if I were you. My roo (all 13 lbs. of him) is 2+ years old. Still hasn't learned that stepping into the middle of a hen fight can earn you a nice roundhouse kick to the head, delivered by your favorite hen. Happened to my roo again today and he still seems shocked every time it happens.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom