The boys will be going to a new home tomorrow :(

TaylorGlade

Over egg-sposed
Premium Feather Member
Jul 29, 2023
Florida Panhandle
David and I are newcomers here, and we're absolutely amazed by how quickly you all embraced us as part of the "flock" and made us feel at home in the coop. In a previous post, I mentioned some surprises we encountered this week when we discovered that 8 out of our 10 sexed pullets were actually cockerels. Initially, we considered the idea of keeping some of the boys in a separate bachelor pad, but we soon realized that it wasn't as feasible as we thought. Thanks to your insightful input, we learned the true implications of having roosters, which opened our eyes to the situation. Unfortunately, we are now to just 3 pullets until our brooder babies grow up.

I wanted to provide an update for everyone who expressed concern - we have arranged for someone to come and collect all the boys tomorrow. Most likely, we won't be keeping any of them, except perhaps Prince, as we've grown quite fond of him. Nevertheless, we'll make a final decision about him tomorrow. Interestingly, he wasn't initially part of our plans. The only one that was is the baby boy we currently have in our brooder.

The good news is that the cockerels are going to a wonderful couple with extensive experience in caring for chickens. They have a large flock but only three boys, so the boys will be heading to a loving home instead of ending up in the freezer or being involved in any harmful activities like cockfighting. We were referred to this couple through a friend, and it's truly remarkable how this unfortunate situation turned into an ideal outcome. Although we're saddened by the necessity of rehoming them all, we're grateful for the immense support and valuable experiences you've shared.

Thank you all for your kindness and openness in this journey. Your advice has been immeasurably helpful.

I’m so glad you were able to find them a home! Are you looking for any pullet chicks? Ideal is having a flash sale, call-in only, right now!

I’m so glad you were able to find them a home! Are you looking for any pullet chicks? Ideal is having a flash sale, call-in only, right now!
Thank you, but no. We have some in the brooder and just got some from Cackle this morning. I had considered cancelling the Cackle delivery as someone suggested, but it was too late.

Thank goodness! I am so glad. For your pullets, and for that darling little girl.

You have years to be in this hobby, work into it step by step. I think that you will notice a huge relaxation in the pullets, just relief. Personally I would strongly encourage Prince moving on too, but if he doesn't work out, he could probably go later.

And the babies grow up quick.

Mrs K

Thank goodness! I am so glad. For your pullets, and for that darling little girl.

You have years to be in this hobby, work into it step by step. I think that you will notice a huge relaxation in the pullets, just relief. Personally I would strongly encourage Prince moving on too, but if he doesn't work out, he could probably go later.

And the babies grow up quick.

Mrs K
Thank you so much. We will probably be sending him on as well. But, just like coming to the realization that these were all cockerels took a while for me to grasp, it's hard to let go. This was my first flock and I hand-fed all them from day one. Thank you so much, though!

Back
Top Bottom