chicken19

Songster
Jul 16, 2015
Riding my horse
My Coop
My Coop
Welcome to the breeding thread!
jumpy.gif

Ask any questions about breeding please!
Also,
A good topic is rooster/hen ratio!
I'd like some BYC people to answer questions here.
My question:
I have a hen who is the roo's favourite. She was getting her feathers pulled and ripped when the rooster jumped her.
I put a hen jersey made out of fabric on her to prevent her back feather from getting torn. I take it off at night so she can fluff up her feathers to keep warm. Is this a good idea?

Welcome to the breeding thread!
jumpy.gif

Ask any questions about breeding please!
Also,
A good topic is rooster/hen ratio!
I'd like some BYC people to answer questions here.
My question:
I have a hen who is the roo's favourite. She was getting her feathers pulled and ripped when the rooster jumped her.
I put a hen jersey made out of fabric on her to prevent her back feather from getting torn. I take it off at night so she can fluff up her feathers to keep warm. Is this a good idea?
The only possible problem is the weave. Is the weave of the fabric tight enough so the rooster won't get his toes caught in it? Other than that, if it works it's a good idea. Something similar is done with the larger breeds of turkeys.

This question is for those with serama. What's the best number of eggs to put under a serama broody? My avatar hen just started to brood and has seven eggs (her own). It seems a bit many because of her small size and the eggs not being much smaller than her bigger sisters.
Though, when I look, all the eggs seem to be covered, but with that long, curled feathering it's hard to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom