THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

I never candle an egg long enough to see if they are active or not, but if temp and humidity were fairly equal between the two I would assume development is similar. I wouldn't worry myself over just how active they were. As far as the difference in humidities people run, it's imortant to note that the difference between my humidity and AmyLynn's "dry" incubation is only about 5%

Is Amylynn, the incubation cheat sheet author? 20-30? So you aim for 35% ? I know it's important and don't want to screw it up.

I've run 4 batches at 40-42% with hatch rates from 85% to 93% in my octagon 20
hi scflock,
Tonight is my 7th day so I will be doing some candling to see progress on the eggs.
The weather has been a bit bipolar outside so I find it challenging to keep the humidity at a constant %, seems like constant humidity is a challenge for many on the Eco. Not sure on affects it has on hatch rate with these swing?

The other thing I've noticed, when the Eco 20 turns on its side it gives a different RH reading then when it's straight up/down. The difference is like -2 degrees, this fluctuation seems high to me. Thoughts?

RH has been ranging between 40%-44% and the temps ranging from 99.0 - 99.9 degrees. Should I expect any some adverse surprises?

Thank you.

hi scflock,
Tonight is my 7th day so I will be doing some candling to see progress on the eggs.
The weather has been a bit bipolar outside so I find it challenging to keep the humidity at a constant %, seems like constant humidity is a challenge for many on the Eco. Not sure on affects it has on hatch rate with these swing?

The other thing I've noticed, when the Eco 20 turns on its side it gives a different RH reading then when it's straight up/down. The difference is like -2 degrees, this fluctuation seems high to me. Thoughts?

RH has been ranging between 40%-44% and the temps ranging from 99.0 - 99.9 degrees. Should I expect any some adverse surprises?

Thank you.
I'm having the same issues between running the AC during the day and the heater at night. Mine constantly moves from 39-43. What you are going for is the average. Minute swings won't affect it. Even big swings for short amounts of time. My water must have run out yesterday, day 6 for me, and the humidity was down to 28 when I got home. No big deal. Just topped off the water wells and carry on. I will still have a 40-42 average until lockdown. All the humidity does is control the speed at which the air cell develops. It's not affecting the chick. Too dry, and the air cell will get too big and cause hatching problems. Too low, and the air cell won't grow enough and the chick could drown. As long as the average stays the same, the chick is fine.
With temps from 99.0-99.9, I would check as many different spots as I could and take the average. I did this and found temps from 98.5-99.9. I adjusted up 0.5 degrees to get a 99.5 average, and my last 4 hatchings have been great

I'm having the same issues between running the AC during the day and the heater at night. Mine constantly moves from 39-43. What you are going for is the average. Minute swings won't affect it. Even big swings for short amounts of time. My water must have run out yesterday, day 6 for me, and the humidity was down to 28 when I got home. No big deal. Just topped off the water wells and carry on. I will still have a 40-42 average until lockdown. All the humidity does is control the speed at which the air cell develops. It's not affecting the chick. Too dry, and the air cell will get too big and cause hatching problems. Too low, and the air cell won't grow enough and the chick could drown. As long as the average stays the same, the chick is fine.
With temps from 99.0-99.9, I would check as many different spots as I could and take the average. I did this and found temps from 98.5-99.9. I adjusted up 0.5 degrees to get a 99.5 average, and my last 4 hatchings have been great
Thanks for the quick response.
This personal brooding is hazardous to one's health. After watching the RH and temp. swinging back/forth for a week, I was starting to get a little delirious and chick-anxiety.
Probably just too much time on my hands... lol.
barnie.gif

Thanks again for the great knowledge and wealth of information.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response.
This personal brooding is hazardous to one's health. After watching the RH and temp. swinging back/forth for a week, I was starting to get a little delirious and chick-anxiety.
Probably just too much time on my hands... lol.
barnie.gif

Thanks again for the great knowledge and wealth of information.
Is this your first incubator? I tried styrofoam first. When you watch that RH and temp. swing back and forth, you will appreciate how stable that Brinsea really is. I don't really have a wealth of information, as this is just my first year hatching, but going from styrofoam to Brinsea really made me a believer. After you get a few hatches under your belt, you will have to remind yourself to add water once in a while
wink.png

Oh my goodness! It works great! So I mentioned that I ordered the humidifier tubing from brinsea (regular tubing doesn't fit thru that hole. I found these tiny funnels from Bed Bath & Beyond for $1.50, the tubing has give and I was able to stretch it over the funnel. I can pour water thru the funnel directly into the troughs during lockdown!

Back
Top Bottom