THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

Hi everyone. Day 13 now. Eggs developing well, I have taken 2 of the original 15 out due to not being fertile....but.... The air cells haven't seem to have increased very much in the fertile ones. I have opened the air vent fully, what else could I do? The water has nearly all dried out below the eggs and I won't replace it. Any advice?
If you are using the Eco 20, you can open it up, lift out the tray and replace water. It will come back up to temp/humidity really fast. Be careful, don't drop your tray of eggs. If you are hatching in the Eco 20, you should fill both troughs and lay paper towels or something in there then that should last for the last 3 days. If you go to my site incubation page you will see how I did mine. I only hatched in it once because of the size. I hatch in a Hove bator because it is larger. Just click my user name and it will show you my site address. Just click it and it will take you there.
Jim

If you are using the Eco 20, you can open it up, lift out the tray and replace water. It will come back up to temp/humidity really fast. Be careful, don't drop your tray of eggs. If you are hatching in the Eco 20, you should fill both troughs and lay paper towels or something in there then that should last for the last 3 days. If you go to my site incubation page you will see how I did mine. I only hatched in it once because of the size. I hatch in a Hove bator because it is larger. Just click my user name and it will show you my site address. Just click it and it will take you there.
Jim
Thanks, your site is very interesting.
I think my eggs have too much fluid in them. The air vent hasn't been open enough I think. Would having a very low humidity for a day or two with air vent fully open be a good idea or would it be bad for the eggs?

Thanks, your site is very interesting.
I think my eggs have too much fluid in them. The air vent hasn't been open enough I think. Would having a very low humidity for a day or two with air vent fully open be a good idea or would it be bad for the eggs?
I always tried to not let my humidity drop below 40 for incubation. I let my vent about 1/4 - 1/3 open all the time. Some do the dry hatch but I had terrible luck with it.
Thanks for the comment on my site.
Jim

HI, new here
frow.gif
I have just locked down my second hatch in my Eco 20. My first one didnt go so well but there were some extenuating circumstances. This time I have incubated them in my Styrofoam incubator and am only using the Eco 20 for hatching. I only had 8 eggs so 5 went in this incubator and 3 in my Mini . they were incubated with 38-40% humidity and now are holding steady at 62% and 99.3 degrees. I have had some terrible hatches this year so am hoping for things to get better. I am hatching mostly white Silkies + maybe a couple partridge.

It sort of depends on where in your incubation you are and where it was etc. Why do you think it dropped off so much? Are you doing a dry hatch ?
Thanks for the reply. We are at day 16 today. I opened the air vent and the humidity dropped. I did this because I thought the air sacks didn't look large enough for the stage we were at. If the humidity is around 10 what effect will it have on the eggs? I thought we needed more evaporation.
Hope you have a good hatch!

Thanks for the reply. We are at day 16 today. I opened the air vent and the humidity dropped. I did this because I thought the air sacks didn't look large enough for the stage we were at. If the humidity is around 10 what effect will it have on the eggs? I thought we needed more evaporation.
Hope you have a good hatch!
IM afraid I dont know the answer... that seems like very low humidity to me though. I dont think even without water I have had mine go below 20%

I haven't posted on this thread in a long time, but today I filled my incubator w/ my own hens eggs. So excited b/c this is the first time we are incubating our own home raised eggs. It is all mixed EE, NN, Araucana eggs.

Back
Top Bottom