THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

I am new to brinsea. I bought the octagon Eco and the mini Eco from a friend. Confused by the temps, I searched and found this thread. I put 4 eggs in each on lockdown because I have leg bar eggs from 2 different sources. My hovabator has served me well through 3 previous hatches but my thermometer hygrometer went on the fritz and I also wanted to hatch the eggs separately so I don't lose track of who's who. So, I have 7 eggs pipping and zipping and I am stressing out as usual. I just hope I wake up tomorrow with chicks. I am just trying to make sure the water stays full and not open anything!!!!!!!.

The brinsea are actually kind of boring because I'm not adjusting the temp constantly.

Younhave all been so helpful I am looking forward to smoother sailing with future hatches.

I am new to brinsea. I bought the octagon Eco and the mini Eco from a friend. Confused by the temps, I searched and found this thread. I put 4 eggs in each on lockdown because I have leg bar eggs from 2 different sources. My hovabator has served me well through 3 previous hatches but my thermometer hygrometer went on the fritz and I also wanted to hatch the eggs separately so I don't lose track of who's who. So, I have 7 eggs pipping and zipping and I am stressing out as usual. I just hope I wake up tomorrow with chicks. I am just trying to make sure the water stays full and not open anything!!!!!!!.

The brinsea are actually kind of boring because I'm not adjusting the temp constantly.

Younhave all been so helpful I am looking forward to smoother sailing with future hatches.
Hi Welcome to life with Brinsea. lol I hope all of your Legbars hatched out with no problems.

So, 2 thumbs up for my hatch from the Eco 20. I went to bed and got up in the morning with 4 active fluffy chicks. Yay! The Eco mini however was a fail. 2 of 4 chicks died while zipping, one popped out easily and 1 was stuck and I helped her out. The temperatures seemed to really vary in there and I was frustrated that there was no way to add water, so that one will be listed on Craigslist.

Since then I have gotten 2 acu-rite units from Walmart, have read up on calibrating thermometers. But my brooder and growing pen are full for now, so the Eco 20 gets a good cleanup and a break. Here is the link to the leg bar thread for pictures of the babies. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/459044/the-legbar-thread/4260#post_11159088

Hi Friend
Has i live in the U.K I cannot be sure what Your law offers you as protection against faulty goods.
But as American law is based on English law it might be similar.
In English law, based on your case Brinsea would have to compensate you completely..,.as the goods they sold you are obviously not 'fit for the purpose for which they were sold you'.In the UK small claims in the civil court are not expensive and if you won (which you should )Brinsea would also have to pay the small court fee too.
I hope this helps you...happy hatching.
Tony

that's the beauty of Brinsea

the Set and Forget method

i prefer it personally

Looking at getting a Octo 40 now

wow what an amazing and long thread...currently working my way thru it and all the advice is brilliant...i just have a quick question...

in the instructions for the eco 20 it says have the air vent open half way from day 1 - 18, and fill one water channel, then it says from day 18 to hatching, fill both channels and only have the vent 1/3 open

but from what i've been reading (unless i've read it wrong!) you guys say when it gets to lockdown, increase the humidity by putting sponges or felt or paper towels in the channels to increase humidity and leave the vent FULLY OPEN, not a third open

i'm about to set my first lot of eggs on wed morning so i'm trying to find out as much as possible first....so have i got this right...

set the eggs, have the vent half way open and 1 water channel full, then lockdown, FULLY open vent, fill both channels and add sponges/felt etc to increase humidity. do you actually cut the felt up and place it into the reservoirs, or do you have it a little bit in the reservoir soaking up the water, and the rest of the piece of felt is spread out over the yellow base?

sorry for all the questions
smile.png
mand x

This is what works for me. This is my 2nd spring hatching..................... so i'm still learning.

I cut a long thin piece of sponge. Not a dish sponge, but more like a handi-wipe but about a 1/4 " thick. Found them @ the dollar store. Cut a strip of it about 1"-2" wide the length of the sponge.. Fold it in half and put in one channel so it comes up and out onto the floor of the 'bator. Kind of like a big U. Put water in that channel only. I leave the vent open 1/3 - 1/2 the entire incubation. The only reason I change it is if the humidity gets too hi during the hatch. I use the mercury thermometer that comes with the 'bator. It is VERY accurate, and I get a hygrometer to monitor the humidity at a pet store in the reptile section. I try to keep the humidity around 40 % - 50 %, during incubation. It will naturally go up when the chicks start to hatch, so I usually don't have to boost the humidity.

If you do need to add water during the incubation, this 'bator recovers really quickly. getting back to temp & humidity.

I LOVE my Brinsea !!

Good Luck Hope this helps

wow what an amazing and long thread...currently working my way thru it and all the advice is brilliant...i just have a quick question...

in the instructions for the eco 20 it says have the air vent open half way from day 1 - 18, and fill one water channel, then it says from day 18 to hatching, fill both channels and only have the vent 1/3 open

but from what i've been reading (unless i've read it wrong!) you guys say when it gets to lockdown, increase the humidity by putting sponges or felt or paper towels in the channels to increase humidity and leave the vent FULLY OPEN, not a third open

i'm about to set my first lot of eggs on wed morning so i'm trying to find out as much as possible first....so have i got this right...

set the eggs, have the vent half way open and 1 water channel full, then lockdown, FULLY open vent, fill both channels and add sponges/felt etc to increase humidity. do you actually cut the felt up and place it into the reservoirs, or do you have it a little bit in the reservoir soaking up the water, and the rest of the piece of felt is spread out over the yellow base?

sorry for all the questions
smile.png
mand x
If you go to my site (click user name) then go to incubation page there is pictures of how I did mine and it worked out just fine.
Jim

that's great guys...thanks or that

just been out to check on my broody, Peggy, and one of her eggs has hatched!! i'm soo excited! only saw a quick glimpse when she got up to get some food,and the chick looked drunk, it was so wobbly! i'm trying so hard not to disturb her anymore today now

now i just want to get started using my incubator as well when my eggs arrive! x

Firing up my brinsea octagon. I bought the acurite and hope that my I have a lot less stress with this hatch. I am having eggs shipped this week from Texas. And my run divided with a new smaller coop on Thursday. A great week for the flaming family chickens.

Back
Top Bottom