THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

Hi! Am about to try out my eco 20 for the first time. I keep getting mixed messages. When you place the eggs do you lay them on there sides? Or pointed down? I have mine set on the auto turn cradle if that makes any difference.

I set my eggs pointy end down in between the dividers so that they are quite upright. I feel this keeps the air sac in a good position. Good luck with your eggs and new Brinsea they are great incubators. Here is a pic of how I have my eggs set at the moment.

Hi! Am about to try out my eco 20 for the first time. I keep getting mixed messages. When you place the eggs do you lay them on there sides? Or pointed down? I have mine set on the auto turn cradle if that makes any difference.

Like Yorkshire coop said, I also set pointy end down in an upright position. I will candle at day 18 and lay them on their side. Last hatch I tried incubation on the side the whole way through as an experiment and had quite a few pip in the middle of the egg or at the wrong end--not into the aircell as I expected and my hatch rate was lower. So back to this:

I use plastic Easter eggs as spacers in the ends so the eggs don't fall over.

Like Yorkshire coop said, I also set pointy end down in an upright position. I will candle at day 18 and lay them on their side. Last hatch I tried incubation on the side the whole way through as an experiment and had quite a few pip in the middle of the egg or at the wrong end--not into the aircell as I expected and my hatch rate was lower. So back to this: I use plastic Easter eggs as spacers in the ends so the eggs don't fall over.
Smart! Thank you for the tips!

So an update! First time hatching with an incubator, I only placed 14 eggs. 2 silkie and 12 Barred Rocks. I hatched a total of 12 healthy chicks!!! Of the 2 that did not hatch one was not firtal and the other pipped and started to zip but it was the last one and I think the water dried out before it hatched cuz the humidity went down at the end. But over all it was a great hatch.

I went to put them on lockdown on day 19 and saw the silky eggs pipped they hatched within a few hours in the last one did not hatch until late on day 21. The water did not last the whole time I would not recommend bantam eggs with standard size breeds at the same time. But overall a great hatch!!

I have the Octagon 20 Advance and have always had fantastic hatches out of it But the only problem I have ever had is trying to hatch bantams and large fowl together Dont work to good So now I stick to one or the other Glad to see you found it out early

Wow I'm pretty happy to find this thread... Apologies beforehand if I ask a lot of stupid questions... This is my first hatch with ANY incubator.
I didn't buy the automatic turnner because I read a review that said I didn't have to open it to turn the eggs I just had to rock the unit... All I do is spill water when I rock it... And the eggs don't seem to be turning... What am I missing? Did I read something wrong.... If possible can someone directly to a video of this rocking technique :D
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom