THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

I just got a Brinsea Octagon 20 with egg turner yesterday. I picked it up used, and it is in great condition. The temp was running spot on, then all the sudden it seemed to dip. This morning it was not even registering a temperature. Now it is running spot on. Any suggestions to what might be happening? I am hoping it is fixable, it was only $60...:). I am excited to finally be a part of this thread...:).

Last edited:
I've done 2 batches so far.
First batch I hatched 9 of 20 but their were a number of infertile eggs, 1 ringed out around day 7 I think and two never piped ( possible they got shrink wrapped never investigated though)
Batch two I set 12 and hatched 7, some infertile again. Two blood rings at around a week and some clears. All eggs left made it to hatch.
I'm a few days away from hatching ducks out in it, 8 of 9 eggs still doing well, one soiled egg ringed out day 10. I used an egg carton to hold the eggs for these last two hatches, I'm not a fan of the dividers. I turn the carton each night when I candle in hopes of better temps across all eggs ( I'm tracking these duck egg carefully ) I candle with the eggs still in the incubator, I figure it works as a cooling period.
I'll report how many hatch on the 9th or 10th ( they are due the 8th)

Last edited:
So far I have had 3 hatches and out of fertile eggs I have only had 2 not make it past a pip. My last batch was a full load and out of fertile eggs I had 100% hatch rate. I use the auto turn cradle and love it! Add water every couple days and let it do its thing! I have had some problems with temperatures fluctuations but it seems to be related to extreme changes in outside humidity that seem to mess it up. Couple quick adjustments and carry on!

How do you clean your octagon 20? I submerged the base and it got water inside it that took quite a while to drain. There must be a better best way.

After two hatches I completely took mine apart. I washed the interior bottom part ( yellow) by hand with soap and water and wiped down the exterior. Dried it and put it back together. I dry wiped the fan blades and in the crannies of the top, and tried to blow any dust/down out. I lifted the black part and wiped under that part down with a damp cloth. Then I put it all back together and I wiped it out with a cloth dampened with white vinegar. The bottom half is really easy to take apart and put back together so that you can clean it better, without getting water inside were the foam insulation is.

Back
Top Bottom