THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

Hi!
This is my first time incubating. I'm going to put 12 duck eggs in tomorrow.
Today the incubator is heating up. The heat is at 99 but the humidity is at 30%. What should I do to boost it? One water channel is filled.
I don't have the auto-turn cradle, so do I just turn it to one side three times a day? And will the water spill out?

The humidity needs to be higher. You can put water in both channels until lockdown but you need to put felt strips or something to in there to get the humidity up during lockdown. Without the egg tray in there put water in the channels and rotate it like you were turning eggs. Then you can make a mark in the channel to tell you how full you can fill it. Try to get the humidity to the recommended levels that came with the Brinsea. If you don't have the instructions you can look them up on the website. 30% is way to low for duck eggs. But if you have already started the eggs it's ok. The percentage is calculated by the over all average during the incubation time. So get the humidity up and you'll be fine.

Hi!
This is my first time incubating. I'm going to put 12 duck eggs in tomorrow.
Today the incubator is heating up. The heat is at 99 but the humidity is at 30%. What should I do to boost it? One water channel is filled.
I don't have the auto-turn cradle, so do I just turn it to one side three times a day? And will the water spill out?

The humidity needs to be higher. You can put water in both channels until lockdown but you need to put felt strips or something to in there to get the humidity up during lockdown. Without the egg tray in there put water in the channels and rotate it like you were turning eggs. Then you can make a mark in the channel to tell you how full you can fill it. Try to get the humidity to the recommended levels that came with the Brinsea. If you don't have the instructions you can look them up on the website. 30% is way to low for duck eggs. But if you have already started the eggs it's ok. The percentage is calculated by the over all average during the incubation time. So get the humidity up and you'll be fine.

Ok thanks. I was planning on putting the eggs in there tomorrow morning after gathering the newest eggs. I put a humidifier in the room with the incubator. It helped some, but is still only at 40%. The room is about closet size, but it has two doors and a window. Would that be affecting it?

Ok thanks. I was planning on putting the eggs in there tomorrow morning after gathering the newest eggs. I put a humidifier in the room with the incubator. It helped some, but is still only at 40%. The room is about closet size, but it has two doors and a window. Would that be affecting it?

I have had bad luck raising the humidity with a humidifier in the room. If you can try to control it within the incubator itself it will be better. Ventilation is important and if you have air conditioning in the house small rooms content to dry out.

I have had bad luck raising the humidity with a humidifier in the room. If you can try to control it within the incubator itself it will be better. Ventilation is important and if you have air conditioning in the house small rooms content to dry out.

I turned the humidifier off and I'll keep a check in the incubator. Humidity is at 50% right now. I have the vent half way open and both channels filled.

Also you can raise the humidity by putting felt strips draping out of the water channels but if only if you need to during turning. Be aware that if it pulls to much water it can drip off and settle into the shell of the incubator and you would need to take it completely apart to clean and dry it out after your hatch

I turned the humidifier off and I'll keep a check in the incubator. Humidity is at 50% right now. I have the vent half way open and both channels filled.

What is the climet where you are at? Do you know what the humidity is outside?

Humidity is 14% outside right now. Temperature is 65°ish. I turned the humidifier off, but then the incubator dropped gradually to 40%, so I turned it back on low. Humidity is currently 50% 1 1/2 hours later.

Humidity is 14% outside right now. Temperature is 65°ish. I turned the humidifier off, but then the incubator dropped gradually to 40%, so I turned it back on low. Humidity is currently 50% 1 1/2 hours later.
You are definitely going to have to supplement humidity. If you do it with the humidifier try to maintain constant humidity in the room. If it goes up and down in the room the temperature in the incubator could fluctuate. Keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom