THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

Increasing humidity now. Thank you.
Also, the advanced does the auto humidity right? Since I don't the advanced, only the eco, anything works for you all, to keep the humidity within a specific range? I filled one trough but still only up to 35 percent. Should I add a sponge to this trough or start in on the second trough? Wish I could buy the advanced.

Last edited:
I use a dry hatch in an open cardboard box incubator, with great success. Of course, it has mass under the nest that holds moisture applied at the beginning, but no more is added after that. I just kept the channels full in the Brinsea and did no other type of moisture retention like sponges, etc., and had a great hatch.
Do you know what your humidity was? You are using a separate hatcher, but for incubation you kept high humidity? Did you monitor air cells and still had the expected growth and moisture loss? Thanks

Also, the advanced does the auto humidity right? Since I don't the advanced, only the eco, anything works for you all, to keep the humidity within a specific range? I filled one trough but still only up to 35 percent. Should I add a sponge to this trough or start in on the second trough? Wish I could buy the advanced.
I have the Advance, but without the humidity pump. I control humidity exactly the same as you. The only difference is I have a digital display that shows my temp and humidity on the screen. I had the exact same problem as you, I couldn't get above 35% with only one trough filled. Fill the second one, then open or close the air vent to fine tune. This time of year I can maintain 40-45% with both troughs filled and the air vent fully open. In the winter, I have to close the vent halfway or more. For lockdown, I put a paper towel across the floor, letting it dip into both troughs to wick the water. This makes it possible to maintain 65%+, and makes cleanup much easier

I have the Advance, but without the humidity pump. I control humidity exactly the same as you. The only difference is I have a digital display that shows my temp and humidity on the screen. I had the exact same problem as you, I couldn't get above 35% with only one trough filled. Fill the second one, then open or close the air vent to fine tune. This time of year I can maintain 40-45% with both troughs filled and the air vent fully open. In the winter, I have to close the vent halfway or more. For lockdown, I put a paper towel across the floor, letting it dip into both troughs to wick the water. This makes it possible to maintain 65%+, and makes cleanup much easier

Thank you. I like the idea of keeping the vent open, when possible, too. Broke and ordered a second octagon eco without turner, for lockdown . I so wish their prices were more reasonable. Btw, though their site says they are out, they got some octagon eco in today. I also ordered the tubing for the humidity pump, 3 ft, so that I can run it to the trough during lockdown. I discovered aquarium airline tubing won't fit. I'm looking for a 2 inch funnel to connect to it as the 3 cc syringe would take about 10 times to make a dent in the the amt of water in the trough.

Last edited:
Thank you. I like the idea of keeping the vent open, when possible, too. Broke and ordered a second octagon eco without turner, for lockdown . I so wish their prices were more reasonable. Btw, though their site says they are out, they got some octagon eco in today. I also ordered the tubing for the humidity pump, 3 ft, so that I can run it to the trough during lockdown. I discovered aquarium airline tubing won't fit. I'm looking for a 2 inch funnel to connect to it as the 3 cc syringe would take about 10 times to make a dent in the the amt of water in the trough.
I like keeping the vent open, too. That's why I fill both channels. I am currently on day 22, have not added water since lockdown, and my humidity is still good. I'm just giving those last few eggs a little more time to hatch while I'm at work. The pump tube for adding water was a great idea. In the winter, when my house was more dry, I used the 3cc syringe and a straw
he.gif

I would love to have another Brinsea for a hatcher. They are expensive, but I am so happy I bought one. Hatching is so much more fun when you know that you can trust the incubator

Last edited:
Do you know what your humidity was? You are using a separate hatcher, but for incubation you kept high humidity? Did you monitor air cells and still had the expected growth and moisture loss? Thanks

I measured it during the actual hatching once or twice and it was in the range that everyone said it should be...70 something..can't remember exactly. I didn't keep high humidity in the box nest as it's open air and no way to keep humidity at a certain level...it fluctuates with the room humidity and the humidity out of the damp soil under the nest. Yes, I monitored air cells and they progressed as per normal.

For the Brinsea I just kept the vent open all during incubation, kept both channels full of water, then during lock down I closed the vent a little, then opened it up again during the actual hatch. Humidity levels were again in the 60s-70s during the hatch. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

I just found this thread yesterday and I'm on page 33 reading it. I purchased a 2 yr old Brinsea Eco 20 off of craigslist this past week. The lady who sold it to me had several successful hatches in it but is trying to scale down her chicken addiction. It was stored in her garage and her husband earmarked it for removal. I have been incubating in a GQF hatcher then hatching in a Hovabator Genesis 1588. My own breeds hatch well but I am having a terrible time hatching shipped eggs. I am hoping that the Brinsea will take care of that problem.

It took a lot of fiddling to get the temp adjusted. I have 2 glass thermometers and 3 digital thermometer/hygrometers. After 2 hours of running, the temp registered over 110! I had to turn the little adjuster knob several complete rotations to bring it down to 99.7. The glass thermometer that came installed in the lid looks it is broken. It only registers the temperature as 86 degrees when all 5 of the other thermometers say 99-100. The column of mercury is broken. Should I replace it or just ignore it and go by my other thermometers?

I have loaded 21 of my Pita Pinta eggs in it and will candle them in 2 more days to see if any are developing.
smile.png

....  I have been incubating in a GQF hatcher then hatching in a Hovabator Genesis 1588.  My own breeds hatch well but I am having a terrible time hatching shipped eggs.  I am hoping that the Brinsea will take care of that problem....

....  The glass thermometer that came installed in the lid looks it is broken.  It only registers the temperature as 86 degrees when all 5 of the other thermometers say 99-100.  The column of mercury is broken.  Should I replace it or just ignore it and go by my other thermometers

Shipped eggs are damaged by the rough handling they get along the way. A trustworthy incubtor will help a little, but realistically expect that a 50% hatch rate is good for shipped eggs. I am happy when i get a 20% hatch. There is a about hatching shipped eggs i would highly recommend reading. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/704328/diary-notes-air-cell-detatched-shipped-eggs

As for the thermometer, if the mercury column has a bubble in it, so it wont read properly, you can take the thermometer and put it in an ice bath. This will pull the column down and may get the bubble out. If that doesnt work, then you can try putting the bulb in near boiling water and try to force the bubble to the top of the column.

Last edited:
I measured it during the actual hatching once or twice and it was in the range that everyone said it should be...70 something..can't remember exactly.  I didn't keep high humidity in the box nest as it's open air and no way to keep humidity at a certain level...it fluctuates with the room humidity and the humidity out of the damp soil under the nest.  Yes, I monitored air cells and they progressed as per normal. 

For the Brinsea I just kept the vent open all during incubation, kept both channels full of water, then during lock down I closed the vent a little, then opened it up again during the actual hatch.  Humidity levels were again in the 60s-70s during the hatch.  Easy peasy lemon squeezy. 

I have the humidity at 45%
I measured it during the actual hatching once or twice and it was in the range that everyone said it should be...70 something..can't remember exactly.  I didn't keep high humidity in the box nest as it's open air and no way to keep humidity at a certain level...it fluctuates with the room humidity and the humidity out of the damp soil under the nest.  Yes, I monitored air cells and they progressed as per normal. 

For the Brinsea I just kept the vent open all during incubation, kept both channels full of water, then during lock down I closed the vent a little, then opened it up again during the actual hatch.  Humidity levels were again in the 60s-70s during the hatch.  Easy peasy lemon squeezy. 

I have the humidity holding at 44% with the vent open fully. I would like it to be 42% but I couldn't get over 30% without adding a piece of sponge. Second trough had it at 60. Just praying I haven't done irreparable damage...

And I hope these air cells keep growing...

My daughter discovered I had cracked one with the bar placement last week... obvious line where the bar was. It's a Maran so I can't see anything but the air cell. We waxed the Crack and I have it in the still air. I think it's because I was fitting all different size eggs.

Another question... the temp adjustment... if I'm using one as a hatcher... slightly lower temp? 99? 98?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom