THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

I'm so jealous of the 40. One day...
There was a thread on here about a month ago by a guy who was doing his first incubation in a 40. He had great results, and it sounded every bit as dependable as the 20.
My first hatch in a 20 was drawn out from days 21-23. I bought a Spot Check to double check temps, and I was averaging about a half degree low. I still had a 90% hatch, but it was slow. I bumped the temperature on the display up to 100.0. I've done 4 hatches since then, and every one is like popcorn on day 21 now

The 40 ~ :drool :love

The ova easy ~ :drool :love :bow :drool :love :bow

Exciting...but not good for my ulcer! Thank goodness for this site and all of you wonderful people willing to share your experience. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a good hatch!
If you ever want to be put at ease about your Brinsea, just talk to me. I'm their biggest fan. I bought my first after a horrible experience with styrofoam. They are pricey, but well worth the money for the right person. I would really like to hear your review of the 40. I will see if I can find the Octagon 40 thread and pull it to the front. I think you should jump on that one and keep it going. There are a lot of reviews on the 20s, but not on the 40. Keep an eye out on the threads and I'll see if I can get it back to the front

The 40 ~
droolin.gif
love.gif

The ova easy ~
droolin.gif
love.gif
bow.gif
droolin.gif
love.gif
bow.gif
You too?

Certainly!! I wish I had got the 40 now instead of the 20. But then if I'd got the 40 I would want the ova easy and they have brought out a new ova easy out this year.

It sure would look good in my utility room!! At least with the 20 it keeps me in check and the incubating and hatching can't get out of control, well not too much :oops:

Certainly!! I wish I had got the 40 now instead of the 20. But then if I'd got the 40 I would want the ova easy and they have brought out a new ova easy out this year.

It sure would look good in my utility room!! At least with the 20 it keeps me in check and the incubating and hatching can't get out of control, well not too much
hide.gif
I feel exactly the same way. If I had a 40, I'd want the Ova easy, especially since they came out with that new 100
droolin.gif

Oh my goodness my DH would have me committed as the crazy chicken lady if I got an Ova Easy. I also went to the Brinsea after disastrous results from a styrofoam incubator. I usually ran into trouble between lockdown and hatch. That's why I'm biting my nails at this point for my 16 perfectly viable chocolate colored beauties. I have much more confidence in the Brinsea this time. Few more days and I'll be able to breath again...

So I ordered 45 eggs from different sources to fill my new 40 which are currently making their way across the country to Colorado. There is a possibility that I may have too many eggs, depending on numbers of extras sent and if any broke in transit. I can bear to throw away perfectly good and expensive hatching eggs, so I thought I would put them under a hen who has been broody for a few weeks. I've never tried it before. Does anyone know if it will work since she's been broody for a few weeks? I've been taking her eggs away from her and not letting her sit on any, but she's back to trying everyday. I suspect if I leave some there and partition her from the crowd, she would probably be fine. Any advise?

Yep, you understand now
wink.png

I have no experience, but if someone were to give me shipped eggs right now, and I had to incubate them, I wouldn't turn for the first 3 days. I have read a lot of posts on BYC that say that

It takes that long for the membranes/air cells to reattach?? I thought 24hrs was plenty enough...... I just know that the egg I check yesterday for fertility had a pretty loose & big air sac. I just set some Welsummer and Am's last night - so it would have been in there for only the first 16hrs in the turner.

Back
Top Bottom