THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

Quote:
I haven't found a way to get it to settle down. I've moved the eggs, I've bought more thermometers, I've adjusted the air vents, checked the room temperature, and so far the only thing constant is variation (just like they say... the only thing constant is change!
lol.png
). But thankfully, the variation from 97-99.8 hasn't killed my eggs, as of day 9 (yesterday) I've had great development of at least 8/16 shipped eggs. The embryos that are obviously developing look strong. We'll see in 12 or so days though.

Quote:
I haven't found a way to get it to settle down. I've moved the eggs, I've bought more thermometers, I've adjusted the air vents, checked the room temperature, and so far the only thing constant is variation (just like they say... the only thing constant is change!
lol.png
). But thankfully, the variation from 97-99.8 hasn't killed my eggs, as of day 9 (yesterday) I've had great development of at least 8/16 shipped eggs. The embryos that are obviously developing look strong. We'll see in 12 or so days though.

thanks bee, DO keep us up to date on how things go. You could provide some very helpful data..................

i am sure you thought of this, but, is the place where your bators are stable in its temp.??? i just thought i should ask this, even though prob. unnecessary.....

Quote:
How do you use the spot check therm. Brinsea told me the only way to use it without taking the whole top off is to stick the probe into the vent opening and to get the probe tip right under the fan...............................

Is this what you have done??

hope this thread hasn't died prematurely...................

Yes, I stick it through the vent opening. It is difficult to get it exactly where you want it though. I have to move it around a lot before I get it in place, and then I use some tape to hold it still on the outside. I let it read for about 24 hours before setting eggs just to make sure it's holding steady. I've noticed that it drops in temperature when you set the eggs (I'm assuming because they are much cooler), but once they've warmed up then it stabilizes. At this point, I take out the probe so that I can adjust the vent as needed.

thanks!!!

do you have the probe tip up off the tray in the air, or do you rest it on the tray itself???

I also realized, after looking at the angle of the vent hole down to the fan, IT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE to do what the brinsea person told me: to have the tip right under the fan................
roll.png

Quote:
I have a VERY hard time with humidity with my Eco 20, so much that I bought a Genesis 1588 instead. IMO, my house is probably the biggest challenge with humidity, so I can't blame the Brinsea. However, with the Genesis, I have not had a problem.

Quote:
i think--as with so many questions we post--you will get some 'yes' and some 'no' answers.

the most i have seen is that the eco 20 is boringly simple to use! this is why some have not bothered to get the turning cradle, cuz otherwise, they would never have anything to do, if they didn't rock the thing a few times a day!!!

4 out of 6 hatched last night, I had a little trouble getting my humidity up, had to pop off the top and lay 2 paper towels in the water channels, with them trailing out to lay on the bottom of the incubator, and that shot it up beautifully! Looking at the 6 tiny eggs I have hatching, I realize if I ever want to really load this sucker down, I am going to have to get me an LG or something for hatching out a full bator. But that means I can stagger hatches and I am NOT complaining!

Quote:
Congrats!

Just a tip...I use pieces of felt instead of paper towels, and the felt holds the moisture WAY longer than the paper towels. Thanks to my brilliant husband, I also use a pipette during lockdown to reach down through the tray and add extra water as needed.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom