THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

Quote:
Thanks!! Me too!!
fl.gif

My new Barred Rock babies! Hatched yesterday/overnight.

Look at the one on the left - is it possible for a new chick to give the stink-eye?

106955_012.jpg

Five fuzzybutts, posing

106955_023.jpg

I'm in LOVE!!!
love.gif
love.gif
wee.gif

Quote:
JMC,
those 2 links (posted near the beginning of this thread) to the other short threads were very helpful, as it this whole thread. Thanks for those, and thanks everyone else, too. This is a very useful thread.

I had to adjust the temp in my Octagon 20 but have forgotten how much or even which direction...That was last year. I did not get a great hatch, but I was using shipped Serama eggs, notorious for being really bad to hatch after shipping. I did get some to hatch though!!

What I do recall well was worrying about the temperature, as you and others have discussed on here. I have another batch of eggs incubating now, not due to hatch for at least 2 weeks. I have several digital thermometers, and sometimes they read the same, sometimes different temps than each other. Fortunately finally the Brinsea Spotcheck thermometer and the built-in glass one seem to be reading the same and steady now for 4 days or so. I put the whole spotcheck thing in the incubator since I didn't want to block the vent hole using the cord. It is really annoying to have the other thermometers reading different from each other. I've forgotten where I got my Brinsea spotcheck one or how much it cost. Does anyone here have a good source or know what they paid? I think I'll order another, since I need it for my Little Giant, heh, since I have too many eggs coming to fit in the Brinsea. (It said on the box that it is 20 times more accurate than most digital thermometers, so it seems like a good idea to get another one, PLUS it is the one that consistently reads the same as the glass thermometer built into the Brinsea.)

What have you determined with your experiment with the 3 Eco 20s that you're testing for temperature, John? Do you have a Spotcheck thermometer that you can stick in them one at a time? (Sorry, can't recall the details about your test of temps and don't know how to go back and look in the middle of writing this post!)

well, thanks to all you hatchaholics, i had to try running a setting of eggs. My first time ever. I used two of my three units. had six eggs in each. i used two units to make it a bit more challenging. (we have three of these brinseas).

one egg in each unit was a blood ring at day seven candling.

the ten remaining went into lockdown, and ALL TEN hatched perfectly within 24 hours of each other. this in spite of them being split into two separate units for days one to eighteen.

I used the hovabator as a hatcher, just to give it some use, NOT because i mistrust the brinsea oct. eco as a hatcher.

so first time 100%!!

It was all so 'textbook'!

thought you all should know.

eta: they hatched on thurs. fri. nov. 10-11, exactly on schedule!

Last edited:
I think I'm going to take the leap in to a Eco 20 with the turner, they got a good sale going on right now, I'm tired of this stryofome bator, my homemade does good but it will turn into a hatcher when I get the Eco 20, Here's to Brinsea !!!!

Quote:
yeah, my first hatch with the hovabator, and already it has a stain in it, from hatching/poop goo. The only way to get it out would be to scour a pit in the foam 1/8" deep.

this is why i am using it at all, just to use it up and be done with it. though next time, i will put something in there to control staining............

BTW, the reason why i was 'gone' for so long from this thread is because i was monitoring the incubation process!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom