THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

cielo - I would not have adjusted anything, but somebody else got to my 'bator first and thought they new better than Brinsea. So I've been trying to get it back to the right temp. It is frustrating to have three thermometers with different three readings!

I left things alone for the first 12 hours to give the eggs a chance to warm up. I have then been carefully adjusting. I think I have it right now. I think. The glass reads 100 every time I look at it in any position. The digital reads either 100.4 in the high or 99.5 in the low position. The digital kept falling over in the egg tray so I hung it from the fan guard. It now hangs just above the eggs. Somebody tell me if I'm cooking my eggs!

jmc - You are correct. I have all the eggs on their sides. I was trying to spread them out to allow better air circulation.

So is egg position really that crucial? Other than pointy end slightly down and round end slightly up that is. My first hatch was in a Brinsea Mini. All eggs are on their sides. The Mini rolls them around a center core - the rolling causes the round end to go slightly up. In the nest boxes I have never seen an egg in any position other than on it's side. But for 'bators that alternately tilt eggs from side to side, do the eggs really have to be vertical rather than horizontal? I guess I better change their orientation!

Thanks!

Quote:
They are fine.
wink.png
The only eggs I force into the upright position is the shipped eggs, and only until I candle and toss out what doesn't look viable - around day 10.

Quote:
They are fine.
wink.png
The only eggs I force into the upright position is the shipped eggs, and only until I candle and toss out what doesn't look viable - around day 10.

I thought over night about those who turn their eggs manually in the LG or Hova models, etc................those eggs are left on their sides, like yours are. BUT they MUST still be turned over and marked so you can keep proper track of your turning. If you just leave them on their sides and don't turn them, welll...................you could always experiment with that, also!

good eyes, 'bored' !

Quote:
They are fine.
wink.png

I thought over night about those who turn their eggs manually in the LG or Hova models, etc................those eggs are left on their sides, like yours are. BUT they MUST still be turned over and marked so you can keep proper track of your turning. If you just leave them on their sides and don't turn them, welll...................you could always experiment with that, also!

good eyes, 'bored' !

I really think we over-do things. Look at a hen, how does she do it?
smile.png
Does she mark her eggs and make sure the big end is always up? She just shuffles her eggs under her every so often and they (usually) hatch with no problem. I agree-for shipped eggs, I use my dividers in my Brinsea, but for my own eggs I just lay them on their sides and shuffle them around a couple times a day. I have never had any problems doing it this way.

Well wouldn't you freakin know it. My dad bought me the eco 20 2 days ago and I just found a site where it went on sell for $99.00. I could have saved him $30.00.
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom