THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

Hey 'bored'!! I have more to add in reply to your pleasant post 245. (not to imply that the other posts are not pleasant, of course. we are all in this together!)

but no time now. I am too busy blowing the DE out of my nose after dusting all our birds today..............
roll.png

never had a dustmask work yet.

Quote:
That seems like an awful lot of water... what humidity are you at? I'm in the same hatch and have only added water twice. If I'd been on the ball, I would have added one more time, since my weight loss is higher than I'd like. Did you weigh your eggs at the beginning?

I have 3 Eco 20's and they are by far the best incubator I have used. I have hatch rates from 80-100% every time. I add water at day 1 and day 18. I sit back and watch the chicks hatch. I hatched over 500 chicks last year with these. I set every Sunday. I love Brinsea. Take care.

Quote:
ya.gif
congratulations!!!! They are addicting!

For your first hatch, I'd recommend you find some local eggs so you can learn how to have a good hatch rate. Shipped eggs can be a big disappointment even for an experienced hatcher.
The dry incubation method works very well for many people, do read up on it. Weighing your eggs at the beginning, day 18 and somewhere in the middle will increase your hatching confidence.
oh, and, sit on your hands!
wink.png

Quote:
Lol me to!I already ordered eggs before I even got my incubator though. They're going to be shipped tomorrow.I got my incubator set up already(just in case) and humidity is at 43% and the temperature is at 100 degrees.

Hi all,

We set 12 shipped wheaten/blue wheaten americauana eggs and six of our own super fresh olive egger eggs in our new Eco 20 last night. I did fiddle quite a lot with the temp control over the four days the incubator was running before setting because the glass thermometer and several different types of additional thermometers placed on the egg tray were all reading 100 or over. Now both the glass thermometer and the outdoor probe (that is hanging at egg level through the halfway open vent hole ) of an indoor and outdoor thermometer have consistently read with temps averaging 99.5. They both fluctuate as much as .8 degree though. I have vague worries of having gotten the thermostat set too low after reading previous posts where the factory glass thermometer has read high with a sucessful hatch but it's too late now!! We'll see how it goes...
Happy Hatching everyone and Happy Holidays.

I have an Octagon 20 and an Eco that I bought a couple of years ago. I have used them to hatch both chickens and quail and I've never had any problem with them. I have found that placing a few small pieces of kitchen sponge into the water troughs help to keep the humidity just right for our climate/weather conditions. I don't own a 2nd humidity gauge for the Eco, so twice a day, I swap hoods to make sure that the humidity level on the eggs in the Eco is correct. Then I switch them back.

I like having the two incubators because when you get to the point where you no longer want the eggs to be turned, it is easy to move the tray from a Octagon 20 into the Eco. At that point, I can clean the Octagon 20 and start a new batch of eggs! I've had really great hatch rates with both and even devised a way to add a 2nd tray into either incubator.

Back
Top Bottom