THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

This is what I use, I got it at Wal Mart. I forget just what it cost but I think something like 12 - 14 dollars. Under $15.00 I know for sure. I sit it in the front where I can see in at it. It is a little hard to read the temp (but if you use your candler flashlight) because it sits down lower. I like it okay. Sorry that it is blurry. lol I'm a little nervous. Sits right in the egg rack.

I have the same one and it works great!! I haven't used it in the Brinsea yet but it should fit OK you would just lose some eggs space

Can anyone suggest a non-Brinsea humidity gauge for a Brinsea Eco 20 that will work and fit comfortably in the incubator?

This is what I use, I got it at Wal Mart. I forget just what it cost but I think something like 12 - 14 dollars. Under $15.00 I know for sure. I sit it in the front where I can see in at it. It is a little hard to read the temp (but if you use your candler flashlight) because it sits down lower. I like it okay. Sorry that it is blurry. lol I'm a little nervous. Sits right in the egg rack.

I saw one like that somewhere but it looked too big to fit inside the incubator? So you place yours in the egg rack???????? I was wondering where that thing would go. You're so smart. ;) Thank you.

Thanks everyone!
smile.png

When I get my eggs an hygrometer etc set up in my Brinsea I will take a picture and post it so you can see how I do mine. Not saying this is the only way, just the way I do mine.
Jim

Last edited:
Thanks. I appreciate that. It will give me a good idea on how to set it up.
thumbsup.gif

Okay, in the first picture it shows the sponge in the back water trough. I cut the sponge the same height as the trough so the tray don't sit on the wet sponges and maybe get the eggs to wet. I only fill the back trough with the sponges with water for incubation. About every third day, I have to lift tray out and add water. I don't put any water in front trough unless the humidity keeps dropping below 40%.

In the next photo is how I do my eggs and hygrometer. In the back row there are 6 large fowl rhode island red eggs and at the far right I put balled up paper towel so they don't jiggle around when I turn the incubator back and forth.
third row has 6 eggs with paper towel for same reason
second and front row has 5 eggs in each row with paper towels for same reason.
Depending on size of your eggs as to how many you can get in there. I have 13 rhode island red LF, 3 english orpington and 6 barred plymouth rock eggs in there total being 22 large fowl eggs. The orp and barred rocks are pullet eggs so not quite a large as they will be later. These will just sit like this without the lid on because the rhode island red eggs were shipped to me this morning so they have to sit and settle for a while. I will put lid on probably about 11 P.M. and make sure the temp is okay before going to bed. I do nothing else except lift tray to add water until day 18 then I open, candle and move the good ones into my Hova Bator for hatching.
I think I've told you everything that I can tell you now on how I do mine and I've been having really good hatches doing it this way. Sometimes on shipped eggs the rate isn't as high but I'm not complaining. I usually have 100% on my own eggs.
I try to keep my humidity between 40 and 50% and my temp is usually at 99. Once in a while it will go up to 100 when I have it in the back position when rocking the bator. My glass thermometer in the top of the Brinsea usually is at or very close to 101 but I really don't pay any attention to that one. I go totally by the hygrometer.
I really do hope that this helps you and I wish you the best of luck with your hatch/hatches. lol
Jim

Last edited:
Thanks. I appreciate that. It will give me a good idea on how to set it up. :thumbsup

Okay, in the first picture it shows the sponge in the back water trough. I cut the sponge the same height as the trough so the tray don't sit on the wet sponges and maybe get the eggs to wet. I only fill the back trough with the sponges with water for incubation. About every third day, I have to lift tray out and add water. I don't put any water in front trough unless the humidity keeps dropping below 40%.

In the next photo is how I do my eggs and hygrometer.  In the back row there are 6 large fowl rhode island red eggs and at the far right I put balled up paper towel so they don't giggle around when I turn the incubator back and forth.
third row has 6 eggs with paper towel for same reason
second and front row has 5 eggs in each row with paper towels for same reason.
Depending on size of your eggs as to how many you can get in there. I have 13 rhode island red LF,  3 english orpington and 6 barred plymouth rock eggs in there total being 22 large fowl eggs. The orp and barred rocks are pullet eggs so not quite a large as they will be later. These will just sit like this without the lid on because the rhode island red eggs were shipped to me this morning so they have to sit and settle for a while. I will put lid on probably about 11 P.M. and make sure the temp is okay before going to bed. I do nothing else except lift tray to add water until day 18 then I open, candle and move the good ones into my Hova Bator for hatching.
I think I've told you everything that I can tell you now on how I do mine and I've been having really good hatches doing it this way. Sometimes on shipped eggs the rate isn't as high but I'm not complaining. I usually have 100% on my own eggs.
I try to keep my humidity between 40 and 50% and my temp is usually at 99. Once in a while it will go up to 100 when I have it in the back position when rocking the bator. My glass thermometer in the top of the Brinsea usually is at or very close to 101 but I really don't pay any attention to that one. I go totally by the hygrometer.
I really do hope that this helps you and I wish you the best of luck with your hatch/hatches. lol
Jim

WOW !!!! Perfect tutorial, perfect explanation and great pictures. Now, if I don't get a good hatch by following your instructions, then I just need to retire my incubator. :gig

This will be my own personal sticky. ;)

I sure appreciate you taking time to make things so clear. That helps A LOT! :ya

i started with 25, took one out for infertility, and still have 24. after taking dividers out, i still had room for my biggish hydrometer. i do have five small (pullet) eggs in there, though i also have 4 big old marans eggs too. i hatched 23 of 24 when i did my last hatch at the montessori school and it was crowded but ok. i always take some birds out after they are fluffy...only after getting the humidity in the bathroom up to over 70 and taking bator in there before opening (i keep shower running into tub with stopper in).

This sounds like a great idea. I have 26 eggs in mine and it's full to the brim, I was thinking it seems awful crowded and after they start hatching and wanting to move around it doesn't seem like it would work out too well for the chicks with broken egg shells and eggs that haven't hatched yet taking up all the space. I was going to take the chicks out a couple at a time after they fluff up but was worried about the humidity dropping too much, I'm gonna do it in the steamy bathroom. Thanks for the tip!

it really works well. i just had my hatch and those that were pipping or zipping at the moments i took fluffy chicks out, i swear, SPED UP and hatched faster. i think it was the extreme humidity in the bathroom...just made all those exposed edges and cracks of the membrane/shell completely moist and easy for them to work with. i took out chicks in the steamy bathroom four times and just after getting the bator closed back up and back into its normal spot in my room, i would have a "burst", in the next hour or so, from those chicks that had already been working at pipping/zipping for some time.

Back
Top Bottom