THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

Temperatures issues with my new Eco20 Advanced, I set the temp in the digital display to 99.5F, but I am only getting 97 to 98F readings
at/below egg level. I am using a Brinsea spot check which is suppose to be the most accurate digital thermometer out there, also verifed with a couple other thermometers. Now I have the Advamce digital display set to 100.6F, and I am finally in the 99F range at egg level.
Anyone else here have this issue with their Eco20 Advanced?

idunno.gif
this thread is actually for the Eco 20, not the Advanced..................best of luck

Temperatures issues with my new Eco20 Advanced,   I set the temp in the digital display to 99.5F, but I am only getting 97 to 98F readings
at/below egg level.  I am using a Brinsea spot check which is suppose to be the most accurate digital thermometer out there, also verifed with a couple other thermometers.  Now I have the Advamce digital display set to 100.6F, and I am finally in the 99F range at egg level.
Anyone else here have this issue with their Eco20 Advanced?

:idunno

I have the octogon Eco 20
I keep the glass thermo that came with it at 101F
and a remote temp humidity unit in the basket with
eggs reads 99.5F. I have hatched a few batches of
chicks this way.

This is the Eco, not the advanced though.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

I bought my Eco back in February I guess I was a little anxious to get ready to start hatching lol. I just got my hatching eggs yesterday from a fellow BYC member and gathered a few remaining ones I waited for from my ladies today. I will be setting all 22 tonight. (in case your curious..Blue and Black Copper Marans, Olive Eggers, Blue English Orphingtons and my own Blue EE, Australorp, and Partridge Rocks X with supposed blue gene carrying Black EE Roo)

I actually plugged everything in and turned on the cradle Saturday because I wanted to make sure everything ran good and I could watch the temp. After following this for a while I put my temp/hydro in the bottom after a couple days to see the results. It was running lower (93 bottom, 99 top) so I upped it and was getting 45% and 99.5. Ran it a couple more days and this morning I did see it dropped another degree.

I was thinking of just messing with the venting to see if that would adjust it at all without dialing the knob. Where do you all tend to keep your venting during turning stage and then finally hatching stage? I know I've read a few different ideas but everything is blending in my head at the moment now that I finally get to put them in "the oven".

I think it is abaout time to revive this very informative thread. I just ordered a new incubator and it was between the Octgon 20 Eco with turner or a GQF Genesis 1588 with turner. I went with the Brinsea and it should be here in 2 days for a batch of sussex eggs. I will post pics when it arrives and I get it up and running.

Last edited:
Don't know about anyone else but I'm done hatching until Jan - Feb. I have both the Oct 20 Eco and the Genesis 1588 w/turner. I'm not familiar with the 1558 unless that was a typo error. I like both of them. I don't like hatching in the Brinsea only because it is so small. I have hatched twice in it but as I said, it is just to small for my liking. I have 2 of the hova bators and usually keep the on just for hatching. If need be, I will hatch in the Genesis also but usually have them timed where I can just keep the one empty for hatching. lol
I wish you the best of luck with your Sussex eggs. They are a very nice large bird. I have a few of the Australian light's right now but am planning on only hatching from my heritage RIR's this coming season.
Good luck
Jim

Hi all,
I've been using a borrowed Eco 20 all spring & summer. My hatches have been GREAT in it, soooooooooo I finally convinced the fella to sell it to me !!! Yeah it's now MINE !
I've had all summer to work out the little kinks. My only complaint about the bator is adding water. I run about 50-55% humidity during incubation, then 65-70% for hatch. I have lots of moist surface areas made by either thick papre towels or thin sponges.

Here's my thought/question. Has anyone drilled a small hole in the plastic cover to run a small air hose ( aquarium air line ) to add water to the channels as needed, instead of removing the whole top. Which of course causes temp & humidity to drop.

PS. I just saw an ad in a magazine for a Eco 40 .............................. figures. Thanks for any help Juanita

Hi all,
I've been using a borrowed Eco 20 all spring & summer. My hatches have been GREAT in it, soooooooooo I finally convinced the fella to sell it to me !!! Yeah it's now MINE !
I've had all summer to work out the little kinks. My only complaint about the bator is adding water. I run about 50-55% humidity during incubation, then 65-70% for hatch. I have lots of moist surface areas made by either thick papre towels or thin sponges.

Here's my thought/question. Has anyone drilled a small hole in the plastic cover to run a small air hose ( aquarium air line ) to add water to the channels as needed, instead of removing the whole top. Which of course causes temp & humidity to drop.

PS. I just saw an ad in a magazine for a Eco 40 .............................. figures. Thanks for any help Juanita

Good morning Juanita,
What I started doing to add water is, I take a drinking straw, open the vent all the way and put the straw down through it and take a small syringe to put water through the straw. This has worked out well for me. I don't do it all the time because it seems that the temp/humidity comes back up so quickly when lid is removed and replaced. Either way, I've had good results in this incubator. As I've said though, I don't hatch much at all in this bator because of the size. Just my opinion. lol

Back
Top Bottom