THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

Just won a brinsea eco 20 on EBAYand now setting up. How do you measure the humidty? there is a oval shaped hole with 2 water drops by the plug. What is that for?

Thefarmersmistress - I just got mine too and was disappointed with the lack of instructions for turning the eggs if you didn't have the auto cradle and the humidity monitoring and filling the water.. I'm hoping to get some answers too! I am not even sure how to turn the eggs without the cradle? There wasn't any instruction for that... how far to turn in each direction - do I also have them sitting straight up at some point - how often to turn - etc?

Thefarmersmistress - I just got mine too and was disappointed with the lack of instructions for turning the eggs if you didn't have the auto cradle and the humidity monitoring and filling the water.. I'm hoping to get some answers too! I am not even sure how to turn the eggs without the cradle? There wasn't any instruction for that... how far to turn in each direction - do I also have them sitting straight up at some point - how often to turn - etc?

That is why the ends are octagon shaped. Tip it front or back to the first side of the octagon past sitting straight up. Hope that makes sense. I tip mine front, then straight up, then back, then straight up again.
For humidity, I put a folded washcloth down in the rear trough and lying up on the top (under the egg basket). Then I fill both troughs with water and close the vent on top. Humidity gets high and stays high, unless you open the incubator.

Hey there folks,
I'm not claiming to be the hatching guru but if you go back to post 292 you will find my post and if you don't want to read all the post from there forward, jump to post 321, 350, 357 and you will see pictures of how I did everything etc. Please don't think that I am trying to be anyone great but this has worked for me. I think everything is explained simple enough to understand.
Have a great day and have fun with your hatching
Jim
I truly hope that this helps.

That is why the ends are octagon shaped. Tip it front or back to the first side of the octagon past sitting straight up. Hope that makes sense. I tip mine front, then straight up, then back, then straight up again.
For humidity, I put a folded washcloth down in the rear trough and lying up on the top (under the egg basket). Then I fill both troughs with water and close the vent on top. Humidity gets high and stays high, unless you open the incubator.

Thank you! So - I will have 3 rotation schedules - right? rock front, then straight, then back....... the straight, front, straight, back...

Also - how long in between rotations? Is 3 times a day good enough? Morning, noon, night..

Hey there folks,
I'm not claiming to be the hatching guru but if you go back to post 292 you will find my post and if you don't want to read all the post from there forward, jump to post 321, 350, 357 and you will see pictures of how I did everything etc. Please don't think that I am trying to be anyone great but this has worked for me. I think everything is explained simple enough to understand.
Have a great day and have fun with your hatching
Jim
I truly hope that this helps.

Is there an easy way to jump to a post? I couldn't find that option - I'd love to see your pictures! I'm open to all ideas, suggestions, hand slaps :)

Thank you! So - I will have 3 rotation schedules - right? rock front, then straight, then back....... the straight, front, straight, back...

Also - how long in between rotations? Is 3 times a day good enough? Morning, noon, night..
Three to five times a day, or whenever you think about it.
smile.png

Is there an easy way to jump to a post? I couldn't find that option - I'd love to see your pictures! I'm open to all ideas, suggestions, hand slaps :)

Right under the last post on the page, on the right-hand side is the page numbers. After "1" is a series of dots. Click them, and it will give you the option of putting in a page number.
wink.png

Remember, always turn an odd number, it keeps the chicks from staying on one side too long! How has everyone been? This thread has grown in my absence! Been busy with the farm and, well, you know, summer sucks my time.

This summer I used my ECO like crazy, I hatched quails to release on my property, they sound lovely calling at night, I have hatched runner ducks, all manner of chicks, and have some mutt duck eggs in it right now. I do love my ECO!

Page 292 Pictures page 33 35, 36. There is lots of good reading throughout all these posts from page 1 all the way through. lol Hope this helps.
Jim
Oh, also I only rocked mine from front to back. 9 am, 5 pm. and 1 am. I incubated in the Brinsea then hatched in my Hovabator only because of the size. I did hatch once in the Brinsea but didn't like it because it is awful small. They seemed to bang their heads on the top. lol
I had no trouble at all keeping temps and humidity levels good. I will be using mine again starting around Jan. or Feb. I had a few eggs that I just put into lock down yesterday morning and just now saw a pip in one of the eggs. These are shipped eggs and I'm sure hoping for a pretty good hatch rate. These are some of the Underwood line of RIR's. Not many of them around. You can see some of what I incubated and hatched this year on my site if interested. Just click my user name and it will show you my site address.

Last edited:
Remember, always turn an odd number, it keeps the chicks from staying on one side too long! How has everyone been? This thread has grown in my absence! Been busy with the farm and, well, you know, summer sucks my time.
This summer I used my ECO like crazy, I hatched quails to release on my property, they sound lovely calling at night, I have hatched runner ducks, all manner of chicks, and have some mutt duck eggs in it right now. I do love my ECO!

Good Morning Impress! I saw where you had hatched quail and then released them into the wild. I have been reading where the quail are slowly disappearing from our woodlands. I love hearing them around our place. It is so much fun to watch them scurrying around.

So here are my questions for you: From the time you hatch them to releasing them, are you doing anything to prepare them for the wild? How old are they when they are released? Do you feed them after releasing them? Do they know you?

Thanks for your help!

Lisa :)

Back
Top Bottom