THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

OMG - the frustrations with this @#$% thing - I hate it, I do.

It has spiked dropped over night for no reason to 83... spiked to 106 - then down to 98... then 95... then 102... this just doesn't make sense at ALL. I went and bought a little digital thermometer today to put in there to make sure things were reading right - they are. I'm so so so disappointed in this product - I'm wondering if they'll charge me shipping to return a defective product - there is obviously something wrong with the temperature control - also - the top doesn't fit right. There are 4 little clippy things that fit into grooves when you put the cover on - only 3 fit - the 4th hangs over the edge of the bottom.. anyone else have to push, pull, tug, etc to get that 4th little clip into the groove?

Has anyone ever returned a product - had problems with returns/shipping? I'm just so disappointed and I had heard wonderful things about this too. I've emailed them several times today - no response. (Maybe they're closed on Saturday/Sunday - and then Monday is a holiday...)

OMG - the frustrations with this @#$% thing - I hate it, I do.

It has spiked dropped over night for no reason to 83... spiked to 106 - then down to 98... then 95... then 102... this just doesn't make sense at ALL. I went and bought a little digital thermometer today to put in there to make sure things were reading right - they are. I'm so so so disappointed in this product - I'm wondering if they'll charge me shipping to return a defective product - there is obviously something wrong with the temperature control - also - the top doesn't fit right. There are 4 little clippy things that fit into grooves when you put the cover on - only 3 fit - the 4th hangs over the edge of the bottom.. anyone else have to push, pull, tug, etc to get that 4th little clip into the groove?

Has anyone ever returned a product - had problems with returns/shipping? I'm just so disappointed and I had heard wonderful things about this too. I've emailed them several times today - no response. (Maybe they're closed on Saturday/Sunday - and then Monday is a holiday...)
Mine has never had temperature fluctuations like that. It could be due to the top not fitting right. Nothing should hang over the edge of the bottom. Can you post a picture? Is this brand new?

Mine has never had temperature fluctuations like that. It could be due to the top not fitting right. Nothing should hang over the edge of the bottom. Can you post a picture? Is this brand new?
I feel the same way also. I have never had a problem with my temp changing. Maybe a half degree when I would move it from front to back but that was the only time. Also I have no idea what you are talking about with the lid things. I have nothing to fit into anything on mine. I just got it this past spring and I don't think it would be that much outdated so you must either have a newer model or a different kind. Is yours digital? Mine isn't.
As for shipping, they probably would charge you shipping if you send it back without talking to them first. If they feel it is a bad one, they may not but I wouldn't say for sure. I would try and call them even if you have to wait until Tuesday.
Jim
Sorry for all your aggravation.

I feel the same way also. I have never had a problem with my temp changing. Maybe a half degree when I would move it from front to back but that was the only time. Also I have no idea what you are talking about with the lid things. I have nothing to fit into anything on mine. I just got it this past spring and I don't think it would be that much outdated so you must either have a newer model or a different kind. Is yours digital? Mine isn't.
As for shipping, they probably would charge you shipping if you send it back without talking to them first. If they feel it is a bad one, they may not but I wouldn't say for sure. I would try and call them even if you have to wait until Tuesday.
Jim
Sorry for all your aggravation.

It is more like little clear "feet" - there are 4 of them that fit into grooves - only 3 of mine fit - the 4th needs to be seriously pushed, shoved, etc. to fit into its groove. Well - their webpage clearly states I am responsible for shipping, 20% restocking fee and I can't even return it if I've used it... how INSANE is that. I am so disappointed in this company - here is the wording on returns taken directly from their website:

• [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Returns
    Authorization must be obtained from Brinsea
    00ae.png
    service department before any merchandise is returned for credit, exchange or repair.

We will not be responsible for items returned without authorization. Please call 1-888-667-7009 or Email [email protected]
    If you are not satisfied with an item you receive, you may return it at your cost within 30 days. Please note that refund will depend upon the condition in which the product is received.
    All merchandise returned for credit or exchange must be UNUSED, in the original packaging with original instructions and guarantee card.
    Please enclose a copy of your original invoice with your return. Returns for credit will be subject to a 20% restocking fee.
    Shipping will not be refunded.
    [/FONT]

I just got it Wednesday - this is the first I've used it. I let it maintain it's temp/humidity for 24 hours (which it did) before putting eggs in and then it drops to 83 overnight and then up to 106 later in the day. I finally got it stable at 99 for almost 2 hours - then it just dropped to 95 for no reason. I will get a picture in a bit and put it here for you to see the lid issue. I'm just FURIOUS that 1) I can't even return it because it is used, 2) If I do return it, I pay shipping for a damaged/defective item and 3) I will be charged a 20% restocking fee. This is exactly what their website says about items returned:
    00ae.png
    service department before any merchandise is returned for credit, exchange or repair.

We will not be responsible for items returned without authorization. Please call 1-888-667-7009 or Email [email protected]
    If you are not satisfied with an item you receive, you may return it at your cost within 30 days. Please note that refund will depend upon the condition in which the product is received.
    All merchandise returned for credit or exchange must be UNUSED, in the original packaging with original instructions and guarantee card.
    Please enclose a copy of your original invoice with your return. Returns for credit will be subject to a 20% restocking fee.
    [/FONT]

I just got it Wednesday - this is the first I've used it. I let it maintain it's temp/humidity for 24 hours (which it did) before putting eggs in and then it drops to 83 overnight and then up to 106 later in the day. I finally got it stable at 99 for almost 2 hours - then it just dropped to 95 for no reason. I will get a picture in a bit and put it here for you to see the lid issue. I'm just FURIOUS that 1) I can't even return it because it is used, 2) If I do return it, I pay shipping for a damaged/defective item and 3) I will be charged a 20% restocking fee. This is exactly what their website says about items returned:
    00ae.png

[/FONT]

I got it now. I know what you are talking about. I have never had an issue with mine though. There must be a defect in it. If it were me, I would wait until Tuesday and call them and tell them what the problem is and just maybe they would send you a new lid. I would make sure it is the lid and not the bottom first. IF you had the lid down tight though I can't think that that would cause the temp to keep changing. When I got mine, I let it run until the light stopped blinking I checked the temp and it was like 102 or so. I turned the red knob 1/4 turn then used a hygrometer instead of watching the little built in thermometer and my temp stayed at 99 or 100 throughout the whole time. The hygrometer that I have doesn't go with have degree. Every time that I looked at the thermometer that is fastened in the lid it read 101 to 101.5. I had excellent hatches most of the time. Sometimes it would be only 2 or 3 out of 12 - 15 eggs but I blame this on shipped eggs.
This is terrible and I really feel bad that you are having all these problems. If by chance you do send this back and decide not to go with Brinsea, the GQF Hova Bator Genesis 1588 is a good one to go with it is all preset. Be sure and get turner if it isn't included. I just today had 11 hatch out of 15 that went into lock down.
Hatching can be a big challenge sometimes. Not always as easy as some make it out to be. There are a lot of variables. You have to be willing to loose a lot of eggs etc. Once you get the hang of it and get it down pat it isn't so bad.
Gosh, I wish you all the best with whatever you do.
Jim

Here is the photo - there are 4 of these little clear feet - 2 on each side. As you can see, one doesn't snap in the area it belongs - I have to push and hold the other side so those don't pop out while pushing this one foot into the groove it belongs - there is a buldge underneath that allows all the heat/humidity out if I didn't push it into the grooved area. So - according to Brinsea's return policy - I cannot return this because it has been used. And if I do return it - even though it is defective and doesn't even hold the temperature (I'm wondering if pushing on the lid to get that foot to stay in is perhaps pushing against the temperature control?), I will have to pay shipping (another $25), plus pay an additional 20% restock fee which is about another $25... so, between buying the unit, paying for shipping 2 times and then a restock fee, this defected unit will cost me about $191. Wow - what a fabulous deal for a broken item.

I got it now. I know what you are talking about. I have never had an issue with mine though. There must be a defect in it. If it were me, I would wait until Tuesday and call them and tell them what the problem is and just maybe they would send you a new lid. I would make sure it is the lid and not the bottom first. IF you had the lid down tight though I can't think that that would cause the temp to keep changing. When I got mine, I let it run until the light stopped blinking I checked the temp and it was like 102 or so. I turned the red knob 1/4 turn then used a hygrometer instead of watching the little built in thermometer and my temp stayed at 99 or 100 throughout the whole time. The hygrometer that I have doesn't go with have degree. Every time that I looked at the thermometer that is fastened in the lid it read 101 to 101.5. I had excellent hatches most of the time. Sometimes it would be only 2 or 3 out of 12 - 15 eggs but I blame this on shipped eggs.
This is terrible and I really feel bad that you are having all these problems. If by chance you do send this back and decide not to go with Brinsea, the GQF Hova Bator Genesis 1588 is a good one to go with it is all preset. Be sure and get turner if it isn't included. I just today had 11 hatch out of 15 that went into lock down.
Hatching can be a big challenge sometimes. Not always as easy as some make it out to be. There are a lot of variables. You have to be willing to loose a lot of eggs etc. Once you get the hang of it and get it down pat it isn't so bad.
Gosh, I wish you all the best with whatever you do.
Jim

I'm thinking since the heating element is in the lid and I'm having to basically squeeze the lid to get it to fit into the grooved area - that pressure might be causing problems with the temperature gauge. Did you see the photo of the lid I posted that shows the foot hanging over the edge -

I'm thinking since the heating element is in the lid and I'm having to basically squeeze the lid to get it to fit into the grooved area - that pressure might be causing problems with the temperature gauge. Did you see the photo of the lid I posted that shows the foot hanging over the edge -
I see exactly what you are talking about and I think it is a real shame if Brinsea doesn't make this right for you. There is an old saying that laws are made to be broken so maybe their return policy will fit in this category. I would surely call them before sending back and see what they say. Good or bad it's worth a try.

Here is the photo - there are 4 of these little clear feet - 2 on each side. As you can see, one doesn't snap in the area it belongs - I have to push and hold the other side so those don't pop out while pushing this one foot into the groove it belongs - there is a buldge underneath that allows all the heat/humidity out if I didn't push it into the grooved area. So - according to Brinsea's return policy - I cannot return this because it has been used. And if I do return it - even though it is defective and doesn't even hold the temperature (I'm wondering if pushing on the lid to get that foot to stay in is perhaps pushing against the temperature control?), I will have to pay shipping (another $25), plus pay an additional 20% restock fee which is about another $25... so, between buying the unit, paying for shipping 2 times and then a restock fee, this defected unit will cost me about $191. Wow - what a fabulous deal for a broken item.

You should send Brinsea this picture to show the defect. The return policy is for when you changed your mind on the item. Most companies charge stocking fees for their trouble. In your case, because it is a defect, I think they will send you a new unit and will pay for you to send the bad unit back.

Back
Top Bottom