The broody turkey tread

jammyjammy2112

Songster
7 Years
May 23, 2012
ireland
There seems to be no broody turkey tread so i decided to start it btw i dont have turkeys but am thinking about getting them and i have NO CLUE about turkeys
but if this tread does go well somebody will no
SO
tell us whats going on e.g i have a broody turkey hah
add pictures
ask questions
go mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I have 2 Hens and a Tom. Both of my Hens are broody however my oldest Hen always lays 4 eggs and goes broody...she was stealing all of my chicken eggs and putting them in with her 4 eggs and one day got fiesty and ended up breaking all of the eggs in her nest including her's. I put her by herself with no nesting material for 3 days hoping to break her broodiness with no luck. She has no access to any eggs right now and my Tom topped her twice yesterday but the little brat is back in the house laying on an empty nest. My youngest Turkey (ten months old) laid 16 eggs and went broody, I candled her eggs the other day and only two were fertile so I tossed the 14 that weren't and she's happy on her little nest of two right now, she has 2 weeks to go for hatching.

Michelle

I have 2 Hens and a Tom. Both of my Hens are broody however my oldest Hen always lays 4 eggs and goes broody...she was stealing all of my chicken eggs and putting them in with her 4 eggs and one day got fiesty and ended up breaking all of the eggs in her nest including her's. I put her by herself with no nesting material for 3 days hoping to break her broodiness with no luck. She has no access to any eggs right now and my Tom topped her twice yesterday but the little brat is back in the house laying on an empty nest. My youngest Turkey (ten months old) laid 16 eggs and went broody, I candled her eggs the other day and only two were fertile so I tossed the 14 that weren't and she's happy on her little nest of two right now, she has 2 weeks to go for hatching.

Michelle
nice got any pics of her to get this tread going :) hope the two eggs hatch for the turkey
lol.png

I have never had a tom brood or heard of one doing so. I have one hen setting now,1 nest with 16 eggs so she should set soon and two hens with nests on the ditch bank I have to find.

it isn't unheard of for a Tom to go broody and set on eggs, not common but it does happen. Hen turkeys make excellent mothers.
ohh would the tom raise the chicks himself and still mount the other hens.if you had one turkey just bought one hen for the sake and if you didnt want more could you slip chicken eggs under the turkey for her to raise

ohh would the tom raise the chicks himself and still mount the other hens.if you had one turkey just bought one hen for the sake and if you didnt want more could you slip chicken eggs under the turkey for her to raise 
yes you can. I had a turkey raise a mixed group of guinea keats, and turkey poults. The guineas had to have laid some eggs in her nest. The guineas still prefer to be with the turkey's instead of the other guineas.
I am sure a turkey would raise a batch of chicks with no problem.

Back
Top Bottom