The Buckeye Thread

They used to do a lot of things back a few years ago more than what the law will let us do today. If we were to do something like that someone would turn us in. But if it worked why not do it. I am like you I will put them in a wire cage. I have also heard that you could spray their under side while in the cage with cold water to help break them Don't know if that works.
Well here chickens aren't covered in any protection act, which is a shame. There are a few folks I would report if there was..

None of them ever died from it. Well except the time the lightning hit the clothes line..

My grandfather (the one who grew up with his father doing this) built me the most amazing nesting boxes last week.

Farming has been passed down in my family generation to generation. It skipped one with me growing up, but as soon as I owned my first house the chickens arrived.

Well here chickens aren't covered in any protection act, which is a shame. There are a few folks I would report if there was..

None of them ever died from it. Well except the time the lightning hit the clothes line..

My grandfather (the one who grew up with his father doing this) built me the most amazing nesting boxes last week.

Farming has been passed down in my family generation to generation. It skipped one with me growing up, but as soon as I owned my first house the chickens arrived.
I like that Very nice 18 hole

aoxa This is my set up all built from salvaged material except the wire it is 32' wide x 25' deep x 5' high and the white box in the middle is a brood box but when not used for brooding it make a good feed/scratch storage for when I am in the yard with them

aoxa This is my set up all built from salvaged material except the wire it is 32' wide x 25' deep x 5' high and the white box in the middle is a brood box but when not used for brooding it make a good feed/scratch storage for when I am in the yard with them
Very nice setup!!

thumbsup.gif

I also had the pleasure of going to Joes farm and handling the birds this weekend. It never ceases to thrill me holding champ and his get when I'm there.

One day I hope to have as nice of a setup and all of the knowledge to breed all chickens as well as Joe. He has many different types of chickens not just buckeyes. His mentor trained him well.

Thank you again for the lessons and thanks to your wife for lunch.

You're very welcome! Come back anytime you want; you are more than welcome!

My great grandfather used to put them in feed sacks and hang them on the clothes line to break broodiness. He was a crass man, but said it worked every time. I'd do something like this with wire cages if I had to break the broodiness (I usually indulge them though). Has anyone ever heard of their grandparents doing this to break broodiness, or is my great grandfather crazy?
One of my grandfathers would have probably chopped the head off and had dinner, the other... you don't want to know what he might have done.

LUCKY!!!!! I love it. I need to re-do my nest boxes for each of my pens. They like to roost and poop in the ones I have too much.

Back
Top Bottom