The Buckeye Thread

Pics
Ok just found this new thread! I got 16 Buckeye chicks in March. I also got 20 Black Australorps in April. I still have 20 Black Australorps but I only have 6 Buckeyes, 2 roos & 4 pullets. I have lost one every 2 to 3 weeks.

They just seem to drop their tail feathers, lose color in their comb and die in a few days. What could be affecting the BE's that does not seem to affect the BA's?

Dan
So you have lost 10 Buckeye chicks since March & all of them exhibited the same symptoms? At what age did the first young Buckeye die? I would NOT suspect Marek's because of younger age (depending upon ages at death) and because you say they die in a few days (Classical paralysis Marek's takes longer for the bird to die & the bird appears alert and happy just loses mobility -- basically would die from starvation from not being able to reach food {if one failed to show mercy}. There are other forms of Marek's that can cause sudden death & everything in-between, but I would think those forms would take longer to develop-- so an older bird).

I would first suspect something in the bird's environment. Buckeyes seem to eat a lot of different things (they are real pigs) -- Could they be eating something that is poisonous that the BAs just don't eat. Are you using poison for rodents? The chickens can eat the "poisoned" mouse and die.

Have the BA's been fed the same Startena & Conditioner? If not, maybe the feed itself had some contamination?

I would look to something they are eating that perhaps the BAs are leaving alone. Particular plants they have access to? Should you lose another one, I advise to send / take one to your State lab. Make sure to refrigerate (not freeze) the body if elect to do so.

Chris

So you have lost 10 Buckeye chicks since March & all of them exhibited the same symptoms? At what age did the first young Buckeye die? I would NOT suspect Marek's because of younger age (depending upon ages at death) and because you say they die in a few days (Classical paralysis Marek's takes longer for the bird to die & the bird appears alert and happy just loses mobility -- basically would die from starvation from not being able to reach food {if one failed to show mercy}. There are other forms of Marek's that can cause sudden death & everything in-between, but I would think those forms would take longer to develop-- so an older bird).

I would first suspect something in the bird's environment. Buckeyes seem to eat a lot of different things (they are real pigs) -- Could they be eating something that is poisonous that the BAs just don't eat. Are you using poison for rodents? The chickens can eat the "poisoned" mouse and die.

Have the BA's been fed the same Startena & Conditioner? If not, maybe the feed itself had some contamination?

I would look to something they are eating that perhaps the BAs are leaving alone. Particular plants they have access to? Should you lose another one, I advise to send / take one to your State lab. Make sure to refrigerate (not freeze) the body if elect to do so.

Chris

Laura/Chris, Thanks for your input. I lost the 1st Buckeye at about 3 weeks and have lost one every 2 to 3 weeks since. Most of this time the BA's & BE's have ran together and ate out of the same feeder. No poisons out here or poisoned rodents to eat. I let them free range some evenings but always under supervision and they just eat grass as far as I can tell.

It is a weird situation and has me stumped. I had them on Corid for 7 days I believe when they were about 10 weeks old, but I had lost birds before that and have continued since. They (along with the BA's) do get a supplement called "Big Ol Bird" every 3 weeks. I have also given everything a round of vitamins & electrolytes. It has me stumped! I talked to my Vet of 30 years and he was almost rude and let me know he does not do chickens!

Dan

Also No blood in any of the feces and I do pay pretty close attention since I raised dogs for years.

Dan

When I have sent a bird to state lab, I have been mostly wrong about the cause of death. The only one I recognized & was correct about was classic Marek's.

I have not lost any chicks or birds this year EXCEPT one hen. A stray Basset Hound (still a puppy) wandered on my place. At first we ran it off, but I noticed each day he'd show up, he was starving (and thinner). One of my dogs kept attacking the young Bassett Hound, but I stopped my dog. So I fed the Bassett, de-wormed him, put flea/ tick control on him, bathed him and contacted the rescue group for the breed. However, I was outside with the Bassett, and it jumped a hen (of course, one of my favorites) & killed her in a second. Thereafter, until the Bassett Hound Rescue group came and got the puppy, I kept him in a crate and had to walk him on a leash.

I have a few old hens and thought they might succumb to the summer's heat & humidity, but they have not. I guess they are old for a reason. My oldest hen, I have noticed, sleeps a lot.

Quote:
just had to add - saw a post somewhere else - discussion involving chickens & gardens -- & one person referred to her 'Veloceraptor Buckeyes".
lau.gif

Got a question for y'all. I noticed that when we went to pick grapes this year, the Buckeyes had helped themselves to all of the low hanging fruit. Has anyone else had experience with their birds foraging fruit/berries?

My flock used to pick blue berries with me. I would let them in the patch, I would pick the high part and they would clear out the low. But I chase them out and closed the fence when I was done because they would JUMP up to get even more if I let them go wild in there.

That was last year, this year I got one whole blue berry due to the record rain .... Mine also would love to run into the raspberry bushes for cover and then they would flock around me when I picked because I would toss or drop ... they would clean up. :)

All of my chickens ( and my golden retriever) will take advantage of any fruit they can get to.
smile.png
I should own stock in the plastic fencing industry - have spent a fortune over the years trying to keep animals out and fruit in
wink.png

Got a question for y'all. I noticed that when we went to pick grapes this year, the Buckeyes had helped themselves to all of the low hanging fruit. Has anyone else had experience with their birds foraging fruit/berries?

A very special thank you to Pathfinders! I appreciate all of your advice, I appreciate the birds (which are really nice and red Buckeyes thru & thru), and I appreciate you being patient with the Reds going into extras today.
Folks, if you want some good birds, and you want them from someone who is passionate about the Buckeye breed, Laura will put you right!

Back
Top Bottom