The Buckeye Thread

Pics
While I agree I don't like those white meat birds either. I think our buckeyes are proportioned. We have some larger bucks and they have larger heads. And while reading the sop. It does mention that the bucks have some aspect of the Standard Cornish. But Cornish heads in my opinion are larger. So medium .... I guess that's up to the individual and their flock size (body proportion to head size).
IMO

Last edited:
At the risk of sounding heretical, I love the dark cornish. To my eye they're so comical looking, they almost don't look real. Every time I go to a local show and see them (especially the bantams), I have to sternly remind myself that my hands are truly and completely full with what I have in the yard right now.

Now we're getting somewhere! These head studies are great, very helpful for those of us just starting out to get an idea of what to consider. Minniechickmama, I agree that that head isn't particularly attractive, but man has he go the "sad chicken" look down
lol.png

We ate our mean rooster this weekend. Soaked in brine for a few days (largely because we didn't get a chance to bleed him the way we usually do since he died because my husband accidentally stepped on him) and then pressure cooked. He wasn't exactly juicy, but he was good. The drumsticks reminded me of those smoked turkey drumsticks you get at the fair, and nearly as big too. I think though that next time we cull cockerels/roosters that old we'll try canning the meat and using them in chicken and dumplings or chicken soup. I enjoy the firmer texture, but I'm not convinced everyone else in the family is sold on it.

I have canned chicken and I like it, it is handy, but my kids hate it. I don't know why, it is flavorful and tender. It looks gross in the jar though.

I appreciate your feedback, and I enjoy sharing and learning along with everyone.

At the risk of sounding heretical, I love the dark cornish. To my eye they're so comical looking, they almost don't look real. Every time I go to a local show and see them (especially the bantams), I have to sternly remind myself that my hands are truly and completely full with what I have in the yard right now.

I know what you mean; the Cornish are a curiously attractive breed in an English Bulldog meets Henny Penny way. For my money, the most comical bird face is the Budapest pigeon. Look like they came straight from Disney studios.
http://wwingsaviary.lbbhost.com/PigeonPages/Budapest03.html

Great news! My buckeye pics were used in the jan/feb 2014 edition of the magazine; Chickens: from Hobby Farms. It was a 4 page article about Bringing back the Buckeye!

They even used buckeye nuts that were off the farm.

Great news! My buckeye pics were used in the jan/feb 2014 edition of the magazine; Chickens: from Hobby Farms. It was a 4 page article about Bringing back the Buckeye! They even used buckeye nuts that were off the farm.
Congratulations!! It's great to see such beautiful bucks out there in a magazine for consumers to see!

Back
Top Bottom