The Buckeye Thread

Pics
There should be a bit of red beneath that slate as you get closer to the skin.

Actually, that's not what the Standard calls for. The Standard says specifically "UNDERCOLOR OF ALL SECTIONS: Red, except for back which should show a bar of slate."

And yes, it's lovely if there's some red at the base of the feather, but strictly speaking, the Standard does not require that. It just requires that the bar of slate should be present in the back is all.

See the link in my signature for the SOP for large fowl Buckeyes.

A bar of slate is a slate colored bar running through the red feather. Therefore, there should be red at the pin of the feather, or else it would just say slate undercolor, and not bar of slate. Tit for tat really though. If it's there all the way to the skin, that is still much better than not at all for breeding purposes.

I wormed the cockerel I got from you since he was raised outdoors, didn't want him to transfer anything in his feces. I also dipped him for mites at that time(which I am sure was unnecessary as I saw no clusters near his vent).

But having never wormed, and keeping my birds isolated indoors on shavings I plan to every 6 months or so. I can see worms coming in on my boots/shoes. I can see worms coming in on the shavings. But I would see it being low risk enough to worm every 6 months gauging by other people's guidelines. To be honest I never wormed when I was younger, never had problems. But I guess we never had problems because we were ignorant to what a problem would look like.

I have never wormed my birds ... not that this is the best way ... but I feed them well, they free range and I give garlic and pumpkin and other things that are supposed to help .... I am just not well informed on worming - the ease - the efficacy - how to do it so they all get it and it is not a huge pain to me .... All these things have kept me from really getting onto a schedule.

I worm my horses - and I do so at 1/2 the recommended rate of snooty horse vets and my horses are super healthy. So I am always leary of regimented routines .....drug companies want to make their money ....

I have never wormed my birds ...
Same here.
I want birds that can live without chemicals. If one gets a worm overload, I will cull before treating. I don't want weakness in my birds.

I haven't wormed ever.

If they all have a worm overload, that is something I am doing wrong, so only in that case would I treat.

I try to create an environment that is inhospitable to overloads. Small amounts of worms are normal and harmless. It's the overload.

Same with Coccidia.

A couple of heaping teaspoonfuls of cayenne in the range feeder helps keep worms at bay on our place (and gives a nasty surprise to greedy mice
somad.gif
)

ha ha true - how do you introduce the pepper ?

I have odd chickens that don't like peas or onions. ? Anywho - I HATE mice, as you here already know - and would love any ideas to help keep them away (sparrows too) - I do put food up in metal containers in the evening - but 1-2 days a weeks there is spill over - or extras that the chickens have turned their beaks up to
tongue.gif
I don't feed it often, but my girls LOVE mac and cheese. Like totally bonkers for that.

You'll not believe me on this but the chickens really don't pay the pepper any mind, so no introduction necessary. 2 well rounded tablespoonfuls to a quart of feed. Of course, if you're chickens are choosey like Metella's, try it out on a single feeder first to see if snoots get turned up. Oh, and two caveats- mice will, like the best of chili-heads, develop a taste for cayenne so don't count on it for any kind of long term rodent ward and while cayenne may keep the general worm load on your birds down (along with garlic and pumpkin pith/seed), nothing replaces an honest to goodness deworming agent.

I'm of the same school of thought as AOXA: "If they all have a worm overload, that is something I am doing wrong, so only in that case would I treat. I try to create an environment that is inhospitable to overloads. Small amounts of worms are normal and harmless. It's the overload." I would add only one footnote- this philosophy only strictly applies to those of us who are practicing free ranging techniques. If you are limited to coop and run only, the challenges in keeping a balanced environment are much greater and my hat is off to those of you who manage your birds so well in that setting!

Back
Top Bottom