The Buckeye Thread

Pics
You'll not believe me on this but the chickens really don't pay the pepper any mind, so no introduction necessary. 2 well rounded tablespoonfuls to a quart of feed. Of course, if you're chickens are choosey like Metella's, try it out on a single feeder first to see if snoots get turned up. Oh, and two caveats- mice will, like the best of chili-heads, develop a taste for cayenne so don't count on it for any kind of long term rodent ward and while cayenne may keep the general worm load on your birds down (along with garlic and pumpkin pith/seed), nothing replaces an honest to goodness deworming agent.

I'm of the same school of thought as AOXA: "If they all have a worm overload, that is something I am doing wrong, so only in that case would I treat. I try to create an environment that is inhospitable to overloads. Small amounts of worms are normal and harmless. It's the overload." I would add only one footnote- this philosophy only strictly applies to those of us who are practicing free ranging techniques. If you are limited to coop and run only, the challenges in keeping a balanced environment are much greater and my hat is off to those of you who manage your birds so well in that setting!

Birds taste buds dont register heat like ours do. I had parrots before and their favorite treats were hot peppers

We had a Cockerel which I was unimpressed with. He had good size, about 4-5 ounces more than the other larger Cockerels. But he carried his head too far back. edit-It also looked like he had injured his keel early on.

He tasted better than he looked.

Culling is a delicious process.

Last edited:
You'll not believe me on this but the chickens really don't pay the pepper any mind, so no introduction necessary. 2 well rounded tablespoonfuls to a quart of feed. Of course, if you're chickens are choosey like Metella's, try it out on a single feeder first to see if snoots get turned up. Oh, and two caveats- mice will, like the best of chili-heads, develop a taste for cayenne so don't count on it for any kind of long term rodent ward and while cayenne may keep the general worm load on your birds down (along with garlic and pumpkin pith/seed), nothing replaces an honest to goodness deworming agent.

I'm of the same school of thought as AOXA: "If they all have a worm overload, that is something I am doing wrong, so only in that case would I treat. I try to create an environment that is inhospitable to overloads. Small amounts of worms are normal and harmless. It's the overload." I would add only one footnote- this philosophy only strictly applies to those of us who are practicing free ranging techniques. If you are limited to coop and run only, the challenges in keeping a balanced environment are much greater and my hat is off to those of you who manage your birds so well in that setting!
Good addition. I only free range. None of my range areas are overloaded with poop, so chances are much lower of them having a flock wide problem.

I need to stop assuming most people do as well :) If I couldn't free range, I'd have rotational pens or runs. Let one regrow while using the other one and so on...

Hello Buckeye owners,
I am interested in Buckeyes and want to know what they are really like (not just what the books say):

I am reading they are friendly, curious, and generally mild mannered (even often low on the pecking order);
Decent layers of medium to large brown eggs, even in winter
Make a decent carcass for meat

I am also reading they are really good mousers...I'm curious...how good? I have periodic problems with rats...small and big...we sets traps and do all the right stuff (feed in metal bins, etc.), but it is always something we hassle with in the neighborhood...I'm not expecting them to take on a large rat...but do you think the Buckeye hens would at least give chase and worry the rats? Maybe even killing a small juvenile or two?

It would be great to have some hen help in our constant vigilance.

And if they eat a mouse or a small rat, which are always parasite ridden, do the hens get parasites? Could those ever pass to the eggs? Or are the rodent parasites species related (usually they are, but I think some cross over)...

Thanks for any guidance or advice you can give me.

I'm looking forward to you extolling the virtues of your breed as I enjoy the idea of helping to keep heritage breeds going.
Lady of McCamley

Hello Buckeye owners,
I am interested in Buckeyes and want to know what they are really like (not just what the books say):

I am reading they are friendly, curious, and generally mild mannered (even often low on the pecking order);
Decent layers of medium to large brown eggs, even in winter
Make a decent carcass for meat

I am also reading they are really good mousers...I'm curious...how good? I have periodic problems with rats...small and big...we sets traps and do all the right stuff (feed in metal bins, etc.), but it is always something we hassle with in the neighborhood...I'm not expecting them to take on a large rat...but do you think the Buckeye hens would at least give chase and worry the rats? Maybe even killing a small juvenile or two?

It would be great to have some hen help in our constant vigilance.

And if they eat a mouse or a small rat, which are always parasite ridden, do the hens get parasites? Could those ever pass to the eggs? Or are the rodent parasites species related (usually they are, but I think some cross over)...

Thanks for any guidance or advice you can give me.

I'm looking forward to you extolling the virtues of your breed as I enjoy the idea of helping to keep heritage breeds going.
Lady of McCamley

Hi Lady of McCamley,

Here's the thing. I feel the Buckeye's reputation as a mouser has been exaggerated quite a bit. Yes, they are very active foragers, and as such will eat pretty much anything that moves that fits down their gullet, including mice (and snakes, and lizards, and bugs, and so on.)

But that doesn't mean at all that you can count on them to rid you of an active infestation of rats. If you have a bad problem with rats you need to continue to deal with it as you have, such as removing food sources, multiple traps, and even adding poison if necessary.

The good news is, there's a new third-generation of rat poison that is not prone to secondary poisoning of other animals and raptors, the way the second generation rat poisons were (I know about this firsthand, having almost lost a dog to same, and then researching and writing an article for Backyard Poultry Magazine about it.)

I recently discovered the new type, and am testing it now. It has mixed reviews - it appears for some people that they prefer the second generation type, but I am not willing to take the chances of losing a barn cat, or beloved dog (and while I do raise poultry, I am also a birder, and love hawks and owls, so don't want them affected by having eaten a poisoned mouse either.)

I found a source of the new poison at this website: http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/terad3-blox-p-1283.html

(Note I have no connection to either the website or the company that makes the product, just an end user.)

I bought a bucket and set up my bait stations with it about a week or so ago, I'll come back in several weeks and let you all know how it works.

But, to get back to your questions, LM, while I do feel Buckeyes are the very best large fowl chicken for homesteaders, as well as those who are interested in showing, or just a family who wants some eggs and meat, I don't think they should be purchased with an eye to control an infestation of rodents, no.

Last edited:
LM - I loved this trait also - so maybe someone should breed a little raptor into a chicken strain ! ha ha ha ha

I also keep my food up in metal containers and try to only feed a little less than they want each day (I let them out to free range on 5 acres each day - so they can suppliment with all sorts of things) but still, the mice come ..... I want some angry birds. ha ha ha ha

Okay so excellent mouser is an exaggeration...btw I was never thinking of removing my other protocol just adding a bird raptor or two on top of it thinking I could use as much help from all sides as I can get...my house cat has never caught a rat in his life but he's chased one or two at the beginning and I've never had any more in the house again...just worrying them helps.

Thanks for the info Pathfinder for 3rd generation rat poison...I have too many animals to have wanted to use poison for your same reasons.

But back to my question...please extol the virtues of your breed.

Why should I want a Buckeye? I like the idea of keeping heritage type birds...tell me why you all like Buckeyes and believe they are worthy to sustain.

Lady of McCamley

Well, where to start. Over the years we've raised poultry in the following breeds:

Large Fowl: Australorps, Orpingtons, Cochins, Brown Leghorns, White Leghorns, Easter Eggers, Olive Eggers, Ameraucanas, Marans, Dominiques, WC Black Polish, SL Wyandottes, and of course Buckeyes.
Bantams: Mille Fleur d'Uccles, Silkies, Buckeyes, Dutch Bantams.
Waterfowl: Call Ducks, Pilgrim Geese.
Land Fowl: Guineas.

Now, some ten years later, we have one breed of chicken left: Buckeyes (still have two clever guineas out of our large flock, but the rest are gone.)

We think they're pretty much the perfect breed. As a dual purpose bird; they lay between 150 to 200 large brown eggs a year. Extra males, with their wide breasts, dress out nicely, and are easy to skin if you don't want to scald and pluck. The meat is delicious, and even older males can be cooked if you do something like Coq au Vin, as we do.

They forage very well, get along with each other and humans well. They are not flighty and the hens are almost too friendly, when we walk into the pen we have to shoo them away with our feet!

They are the only breed of American chicken created by a woman, Mrs. Nettie Metcalf of Ohio, (which made them near and dear to my heart, because I was born and raised in OH), and the only American breed with a pea comb, which means no frostbite in winter (unless you live in Saskatoon or someplace like that.)

They tolerate heat and cold well, some will go broody (if you prefer them to raise their own babies) but are not excessively so, and we think they are just an all around perfect homestead chicken.

Plus, I think they're very pretty. What's not to like?

wink.png

Back
Top Bottom