The Buckeye Thread

Pics
for me buckeyes are - personality, personality, personality. I am new to poultry - have only had gold sex links, australorps & buckeyes. It took no time at all to determine that buckeyes are all I need.

From my limited experience - chickens have two strong drives (not having roosters, I am leaving out breeding LOL)
the first drive is to EAT
the second drive is to NOT BE EATEN

the GSL's were VERY lopsided to drive number one. Food anxiety, is how I referred to it. They would pop me on the kneecap when expecting treaties. And they did not flock so well, nor did they dive for cover as rapidly as the others. And, interesting - I've lost 2 chickens to predators - predictably they were both GSL's.

The Australorps are much stronger on the 'not be eaten' drive. They give out predator warnings - screeching to high heavens. Neither I nor my neighbors mind that - in fact without a rooster, I'm thinking having these australorps have perhaps helped to 'save' some of the flock from the eagles & hawks in our area. The Australorps are however, much more stand-offfish than either the Buckeyes or the GSL's. They molted the soonist also - at less than a year of age.

the Buckeyes though - from brooder on - were looking for us. They don't mind being picked up - unlike the Australorps, they don't bully any of the other chickens, unlike the GSL's. And you know I don't think I've ever seen one being bullied either?? They flock well, and are able to duck into the brush when an alarm is given. Curious, but not reckless. Will lead the flock all over the yard foraging. Trouble was the only chick to escape the brooder - which she did twice. She was quite the character, and of course, my favorite.

For full disclosure - my observations are from a limited number of feedstore chicks - so take what I say with that in mind. However - from this point on it is all Buckeyes for me! Just love the bird and yes you can call me guilty of anthropomorphizing - I don't mind!

ETA - o & what Pathfinders & Apdeb said too!

Last edited:
Thank you for the responses...Buckeyes do sound delightful. I have found a breeder near me, so I will definitely investigate the breed and hopefully come spring be able to add a couple to my flock.

Thank you again for your input
Lady of McCamley

I am no expert but I have raised a dozen or so breeds. My Buckeyes are not overly friendly but I have only had the adults for a few months and the babies for a few weeks. However, the adults do get excited to see me. They are much less aggressive with other chickens. I accidentally let the Buckeye rooster out the other day while my BLRW roo was out. Not only was the old roo not aggressive, when one of his "wives" (speckled Sussex) started a fight with the BLRW, old roo investigated then let her handle it.

Would a LF Buckeye fit comfortably in a 5 gal bucket as a nest box? What about a broody hen with chicks, would that be too tight?
Thinking of going with something set up like this so if one goes broody, I can move just pick up her bucket to separate her. Granted I'm not expecting anyone to go broody this year, but the first eggs should be coming soon!

Sent a 24 week old Buckeye & a 19 week old Black Australorp cockerel to freezer camp today. The dressed carcass on the Buckeye was 4.28# & the BA weighted 4.76#

I have not gotten any eggs from the pullets of either breed yet.

Dan

here is our oldest girl, hoping for eggs soon

and before anybody scalds me about the zip-tie, it is the removable/realizable type !!

Would a LF Buckeye fit comfortably in a 5 gal bucket as a nest box? What about a broody hen with chicks, would that be too tight?
Thinking of going with something set up like this so if one goes broody, I can move just pick up her bucket to separate her. Granted I'm not expecting anyone to go broody this year, but the first eggs should be coming soon!

The 5 gallon bucket should be fine for a nest (anything that is close to 12 in by 12 in by 12 in...give or take an inch or two).

The 5 gallon bucket should be fine for a broody hen to sit on a clutch; however it would likely be too small for her and hatched chicks if you have more than a couple of chicks hatched...however you are separating the broody hen into what I presume is something of an enclosed run and cover to separate from the main flock....so just sitting in the bucket for the 21 days and then having a small run should work if you don't have a lot of chicks.

And of course I personally prefer my brooding nests to be on ground floor to prevent stupid chick tricks...they are great at getting out but never can seem to figure their way back....usually the momma hen pulls up stakes and broods everyone where the lost chick is...or you simply lose a chick to the elements.

That of course all presumes she sticks with your chosen bucket to brood her chicks..."plans of mice and men... and chicken owners" ...are often usurped by the broody herself who usually picks a most inconvenient spot :p
Lady of McCamley

The 5 gallon bucket should be fine for a nest (anything that is close to 12 in by 12 in by 12 in...give or take an inch or two).

The 5 gallon bucket should be fine for a broody hen to sit on a clutch; however it would likely be too small for her and hatched chicks if you have more than a couple of chicks hatched...however you are separating the broody hen into what I presume is something of an enclosed run and cover to separate from the main flock....so just sitting in the bucket for the 21 days and then having a small run should work if you don't have a lot of chicks.

And of course I personally prefer my brooding nests to be on ground floor to prevent stupid chick tricks...they are great at getting out but never can seem to figure their way back....usually the momma hen pulls up stakes and broods everyone where the lost chick is...or you simply lose a chick to the elements.

That of course all presumes she sticks with your chosen bucket to brood her chicks..."plans of mice and men... and chicken owners" ...are often usurped by the broody herself who usually picks a most inconvenient spot :p
Lady of McCamley

NIce set up!!!

Back
Top Bottom