The Buckeye Thread

Pics
I would think that would work, are those your buckets all lined up like that? Pretty cool!

No, this set up isn't mine. I wish! I believe it belongs to Mehjr10 who responded on a post I made in the coop forum.

I'm looking for nest box and roost construction ideas for our cattle panel hoop house. It looks like we are going to winter the flock in the hoop house instead of building the big coop this year. The hoop house will be stationary as it's not really movable unless we pull it with the Jeep. :)

My 18 week olds still sleep huddled together on the ground. Currently there's a low roost sitting on two cement blocks that they use in the mornings before I let them out for the day but they won't roost to sleep on it.

I know some of them want to roost though as we moved their coop this week. Some of them wouldn't go in at night but instead tried to roost on the porch handrail. They were the ones that were easy to catch! We had quite a fun 3 nights rounding everyone up for bedtime! It's a very long story involving me getting cactus thorns stuck all over my body, flashlights, and moving the coop a second time because the chickens are smarter than me regarding the tree line and hawks.

Last night everyone but the lowest pullet made it to the coop on their own. I hated to leave them locked in for too long during the day because there's just not enough room for that without a run. But I think we're good now. Ha!

I only have 10 pullets so we don't need a many nest boxes. I know I need to get the roost higher than the nest boxes. Just having trouble deciding on a construction plan for the hoop house interior. Lacking solid walls makes it a little more challenging.

I only have 10 pullets so we don't need a many nest boxes. I know I need to get the roost higher than the nest boxes. Just having trouble deciding on a construction plan for the hoop house interior. Lacking solid walls makes it a little more challenging.

Can you put a section of wood across the bottom along one side? That would let you affix nest boxes.

I have a single hole nest box in several of my hoop houses in which I used to over-winter Dutch hens, they shared it fairly well. Made of plastic, with holes at all four corners, I just zip tied it in there. I got them originally from www.poultrymansupply.com, but Matt has sold that business and I don't see them on the website any more. Maybe you could zip tie a kitty litter box into a corner?

I am so pumped! After picking and breeding the best hatches from the eggs I had gotten 18 months ago from Chris and some eggs from a line from Laura, my granddaughter won Best Standard Cockeral and Best Standard Pullet at her first show yesterday at our fair! For a 9 year old girl, she is on cloud nine and I have to say, Nana is soooooo excited! The judge had no hesitation in placing them first - I will post pix as soon as I can! Yeah - we are already making plans for where we are going with this line! Thanks to Chris and Laura for having some nice looking chickens to breed from!!!!!!

Can you put a section of wood across the bottom along one side? That would let you affix nest boxes.

I have a single hole nest box in several of my hoop houses in which I used to over-winter Dutch hens, they shared it fairly well. Made of plastic, with holes at all four corners, I just zip tied it in there. I got them originally from www.poultrymansupply.com, but Matt has sold that business and I don't see them on the website any more. Maybe you could zip tie a kitty litter box into a corner?

Ah, yes zip ties! Thanks!

I am so pumped! After picking and breeding the best hatches from the eggs I had gotten 18 months ago from Chris and some eggs from a line from Laura, my granddaughter won Best Standard Cockeral and Best Standard Pullet at her first show yesterday at our fair! For a 9 year old girl, she is on cloud nine and I have to say, Nana is soooooo excited! The judge had no hesitation in placing them first - I will post pix as soon as I can! Yeah - we are already making plans for where we are going with this line! Thanks to Chris and Laura for having some nice looking chickens to breed from!!!!!!

Congrats! Love to see pics. :)

Congratulations! Yes, I want pics. What fair was it? Please give your granddaughter a hug from all of us.
celebrate.gif

Congrats to your granddaughter for the win. It least it was a Buckeye!!! Can't wait to see pics.
thumbsup.gif

Despite the heat, having an absolutely wonderful day here today. Hope everyone is doing well! Keep your birds cool, and remember, in three months we'll be cussing about the snow.

wink.png

Does anyone know how many Buckeyes there are in the US today? Or where to go look to find out? I'm writing an article for a magazine on Buckeyes, and wanted to reference how far they've come back from being endangered a few years ago.

Back
Top Bottom