The Buckeye Thread

Pics
Just thought I'd report that my daughter won Reserve Champion Large Fowl with one of her Buckeye hens at the county fair. It wasn't super competitive, but the Champion was a very nice Leghorn hen that came as a chick from Tony Albritton. It's always fun to have an excuse to talk about them in public. (Alas, no decent pictures this time.)

This is a tough time to show because it always seems the best in the flock are molting...

Congratulations!
ya.gif

This can indeed be a hard time to show due to molting. Give your daughter a high five for me.

We're evaluating our 5-6 month old birds using the ALBC assessment guidelines and ran into a few questions. I know that the goal is to have everything in one bird, but for those who use these guidelines to evaluate their stock is there one measurement that you would weigh heavier than the others? It seems that the heaviest cockerels and the ones with the biggest heart girth also have keels that are less than straight. Last time we evaluated cockerels we decided not to keep any of the ones with the crooked keels.

Size is important, but a well balanced bird is just as important. If you have wonky/crooked keels, then that is a defect I would cull . Size is not a defect, and size can be worked on. Get the bird correct, then work your size, then work your color.

I am wanting to combine my 19 week old buckeye pullets with 5 hens that are laying. Is that wise and if I do, should I continue feeding layer rations for the layers or feed my game bird conditioner that I am feeding my pullets?

I am wanting to combine my 19 week old buckeye pullets with 5 hens that are laying. Is that wise and if I do, should I continue feeding layer rations for the layers or feed my game bird conditioner that I am feeding my pullets?

As I replied elsewhere, I think it will be fine for you to combine them and use the 19% Purina. Just be sure to have oyster shell available, and add some ACV to their water so the hens will have plenty of calcium available to them if they need it.

Would love opinions on these roosters. He doesent have the slating though.

This guy here is limping as he got stepped on by a horse but he is getting better. He has the slate barring.
Their still young(Their from the same clutch as aoxa. I gave her, her buckeyes)

Last edited:
Would love opinions on these roosters. He doesent have the slating though.

This guy here is limping as he got stepped on by a horse but he is getting better. He has the slate barring.
Their still young(Their from the same clutch as aoxa. I gave her, her buckeyes)

Just a note as well that the color is a little off on these(Camera settings are off for colors). Their color is more like Aoxa's Buckeyes(She got hers from me)

Are you sure those are buckeyes?

Im pretty sure the second one is my buckeye roo. The first one could easilly be one of my HRIRs. The colors are really off in these photos and their still young. My chickens havent filled out as fast as Aoxas I find but I wasnt soaking feed like she was. I need to take photos of all of my HRIR and buckeye so I can get them straight and accounted for once and for all. Im trying to figure out which roosters im keeping and which im culling.

Both of them have huge wattles for Buckeyes. It is evident that your color is 'off' in these, as you have clearly stated. I would look at the bird overall before worry about color anyway. Not crazy about the comb on the first one, it looks long and skinny. You should get some better pictures from the side and down at the birds level to get a good assessment via picture. The true test is picking them up and feeling what is under the feathers. Feel for a good keel, strong and straight. Feel for condition, not too bony and knobby. Feel for width in the frame structure, especially over the back. Fold out the wings and see how the shape is formed and if the feather quality it good, same for tail. Realizing that you are in Canada, I was wondering if you by chance have an APA Standard for Buckeyes to following if you are wanting to breed Bucks to meet the standard?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom