The Buckeye Thread

Pics
this is a great example of why it is hard to judge from a photo. He looked decent until I saw the top down pic. The width of back pinches in at the tail. I don't comment on online color.

W
I think the closest thing to actually getting to see the bird first hand is to get the same bird and different angles. Don't you? If you just look at one picture of a bird that was taken by the photographer at a show where the bird is set and posed in a certain way, it is not a true representation of that bird. So, you have to look at it from different angles. Just as you would at a how, right? Judges don't merely look at birds in the cage by walking by, the handle them, the look at them standing, they use their little sticks to move them around in the cage to see the WHOLE bird. To judge anything based on one split second snapshot is just ludicrous. I pulled a couple of cockerels out as I was getting ready for the show and posted a video of them on our FB group so that people could see the whole bird as it moved around in the cage, and to see that the color wasn't something I had adjusted for in a photo. If you can't touch them, you should try to see them moving and short of that, then look at several angles.

I have had fourth place in one show and res of show in the other in one of those dual shows. that is the largest spread I have experienced. If the same bird wins big 3 or 4 times with different judges, it is probably a pretty good bird. I am not counting fairs in this observation.

Walt
I wouldn't count 4-H fairs. And even some State Fairs don't truly get a good showing of birds since they are at a time of year when many birds are starting molt or looking like hell from breeding season.

I'd like to add that I find that it is an opportunity for substandard birds to take home some big prizes due to the fact that they are the only exhibitors in their breed or class, therefore allowing them to win by default. Seems a cheesy way to earn a rep.

Last edited:
I wouldn't count 4-H fairs.  And even some State Fairs don't truly get a good showing of birds since they are at a time of year when many birds are starting molt or looking like hell from breeding season.

I'd like to add that I find that it is an opportunity for substandard birds to take home some big prizes due to the fact that they are the only exhibitors in their breed or class, therefore allowing them to win by default.  Seems a cheesy way to earn a rep.

It depends on the state fair. The Indiana open state fair show normally runs close to 1000 birds and it's the same players as come to normal shows. So though the trophy says "fair" doesn't mean it's a bad show. I believe they earn apa points as well. Walt can correct me on that one as it's been several years since we went.

The reason we didn't go the last two years was heat related not molt. Most birds around here aren't molting the beginning of August.

I have had fourth place in one show and res of show in the other in one of those dual shows. that is the largest spread I have experienced. If the same bird wins big 3 or 4 times with different judges, it is probably a pretty good bird. I am not counting fairs in this observation.

Walt

I agree with you Walt! It can be difficult for a single bird to do that but it is possible and for a bird to keep itself in shape to do such a feet says a lot about the bird.

Wow do these guys grow. I'm signed up for two upcoming shows and hopefully everything will turn out alright. Being they will be my first my only hope is to survive ;)

Bawk Bawk (Buckeye in the back) my 3 year old named him because of his noises he makes. He's looking good so far except a broken wing feather from fighting for his position when I introduced him to the established flock. He's the one I hope to show if everything else turns out alright. Sigh.

I bought Jr. (Front) because I just liked his temperament and will be crossing with my ladies come spring. I wish he'd hold his tail up more. He's a ladies man for sure and is a sheep dog in disguise. He's constantly keeping the 13 ladies in line and keeping the other males away.

My beautiful girl (not pictured) from Laura's line is currently in molt :( however I have two eggs incubating prior to her laying stopping but no guarantees to hatch since I've never done this before. I think her new feathers coming in are actually darker.

I had to move my flock to a friends property 1/2 mile away which may actually work out better for how many I can have however, limited to sq ft per chicken per 25x25 pen. I have 1 and am building a second. Only issue is predators with my Beagles at home not protecting them. This move has taken a lot of time and resources so I haven't been on the thread. Nice to see tensions are still the same but people are being amicable.

I'm looking forward to spring and breeding season! I'm hoping to find a few birds from one more line so spring can't get here fast enough. So glad I found Buckeyes!

Nice setup Angelina. Do you have better pics of your show roo and the new one you're saying you're going to be using for breeding?

I keep looking at the new boy vs the show boy and from this pic in MOP I wouldn't use the new one for breeding. I'd like to see more pics and possibly help you select if you are willing :)

Last edited:
I agree with you. It can even be that it was the best bird at that moment or depend upon the judge (i.e. what he looks for in that breed) -- one only has to look at double shows to know this to be true.

I always said when I won an AKC conformation show or a UBGF/AKC Field Trial with one of my dogs that he or she (the Dog) was the best that day in the opinion of one (shows) or 2 (Field Trials) judges. Past that it did not mean a whole lot. I know some feel otherwise.

I for sure never made any of my breeding decisions based on what a judge saw in a few minutes because I spend hours with the dog everyday. I am sure chicken judging is very similar because you are inserting a human's opinion and as always politics and personal likes & dislikes can come into play.

Dan

It depends on the state fair. The Indiana open state fair show normally runs close to 1000 birds and it's the same players as come to normal shows. So though the trophy says "fair" doesn't mean it's a bad show.
Holy cow, I wish that was the case for the Michigan state fair. I was, frankly, apalled at the quality of birds I saw there this year. NO OFFENSE to anyone who may have shown there, as I did not go through and look at them all; after a few rows of bird after bird that appeared to clearly be hatchery quality (again, nothign wrong that either...they do have their place, IMO), I left the area.
hide.gif

I was speaking with jan brett at little rhody
she puts something called replenish I will get exact details sat
she brings it in water for shows. Her birds are amazing,,,
ps shes bringing her tour bus for the national
speaking and signing autographs

Please let us know apdeb. I'm curious if this is an electrolyte product we use for horses and have used on chickens as well.

It depends on the state fair. The Indiana open state fair show normally runs close to 1000 birds and it's the same players as come to normal shows. So though the trophy says "fair" doesn't mean it's a bad show. I believe they earn apa points as well. Walt can correct me on that one as it's been several years since we went.

I think most state fairs can be APA sanctioned if the numbers are there and the judges are sanctioned. I know Ohio is; so you will get recognized by the APA for doing well in the open if the numbers are there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom