The Buckeye Thread

Pics
My plan is to breed them both with the same hen and go from there. I'm also putting my leghorns with Jr. As for show, I'll let the judges point out what is good and what isn't and learn from experience. That's what my husband said, would be good to hear from them and it will also give me practice grooming and preparing. photo is never a good representation of the bird, dog, cat, horse or whatever animal that is photographed. I would never buy a horse via a photograph only hands on feeling, looking and seeing with my eyes. My sexlinks look so well rounded but when you pick them up they are pretty thin and I'm surprised they lay and egg a day and a big one at that.

I just wanted to show my boys and give an update as just a month ago I was afraid I wouldn't get one at all. If I ever have any concerns or questions I will ask the breeder. I learned a great deal from hands on at the farm for 3 hours and I'm sure I could use hours more. Everyone is an expert with their own ideas of what should be and how it should be. I don't mind advise, it is just that.
wink.png

Letting the judges evaluate the bird is much better than opinions from pictures.

Walt

Good morning Angelina. I like how you point out the temperament differences on BB and JR. MHO is if you are going for a show line I would use BB as he appears to have better type from the pics you've shown.

If you are wanting egg layers only then use JR or leave him with your egg layers as protection and companionship for the hens.

You said when you bought JR the person selling was going over type with you. I'm sure they told you to look at width of back, distance between legs, are the legs under the bird in a way to show balance of body, when you look down on the head if you can see the eyes the head is to narrow, pull back the feathers and
look at the slating- is there any and if so it shouldn't be all the way to the skin and on and on and on.

Biggest thing have fun, read the sop and breed for the buckeye you envision as an winning type :)

Thanks, I spend a lot of time with the birds so temperament is important. As I mentioned to someone else Jr will be bred with my buckeye hen and my leghorns as well as BB with the buckeye hen. I was originally going to put him with my australorps but I ended up selling them and culling the rest which I found the cockerels taste like turkey.

I have some experience in breeding lamb and puppies. Each have some similarities but generally I just have to apply myself and learn. I am having fun :) otherwise I would sell the whole flock and walk away. This has become a passion of mine and everyone needs something that gives them a goal or purpose. For me it isn't about wanting points or ribbons but truly I love these birds and want to participate in conservation. My participation in shows is to expose the Buckeye to other people down here. Someone who may only of been able to see a picture but is awed by the actual bird itself.

Last edited:
Thanks, I spend a lot of time with the birds so temperament is important. As I mentioned to someone else Jr will be bred with my buckeye hen and my leghorns as well as BB with the buckeye hen. I was originally going to put him with my australorps but I ended up selling them and culling the rest which I found the cockerels taste like turkey.

I have some experience in breeding lamb and puppies. Each have some similarities but generally I just have to apply myself and learn. I am having fun :) otherwise I would sell the whole flock and walk away. This has become a passion of mine and everyone needs something that gives them a goal or purpose. For me it isn't about wanting points or ribbons but truly I love these birds and want to participate in conservation. My participation in shows is to expose the Buckeye to other people down here. Someone who may only of been able to see a picture but is awed by the actual bird itself.

You are welcome. :) the breed is amazing. I enjoy being greeted everytime I walk outside by them. They follow me everywhere when I'm working in the yard.

Have a great day.

Letting the judges evaluate the bird is much better than opinions from pictures.

Walt
Yes but why do you have to wait until it is show time to get your bird evaluated.You could be going in the wrong direction until show time. I think pictures are a good way to point out the color, comb, wattles, feet, and overall appearance of your bird it is up to the owner to get a photo of the animal that is as close to the color as possible. I personally would like opinions from a picture than going blind into a show. Then when the judge looks at my birds he/she can give me more pointers. If a person has a SOP they should know a little about the breed they are showing. The person also needs (my opinion only) to find a good mentor to help them along. I have listened to breeders that I have bought rabbits from and was lead in the wrong direction. They want to sell you the bird or rabbit. This is my opinion only.

Last edited:
Yes but why do you have to wait until it is show time to get your bird evaluated.You could be going in the wrong direction until show time. I think pictures are a good way to point out the color, comb, waddles, feet, and overall appearance of your bird it is up to the owner to get a photo of the animal that is as close to the color as possible. I personally would like opinions from a picture than going blind into a show. Then when the judge looks at my birds he/she can give me more pointers. If a person has a SOP they should know a little about the breed they are showing. The person also needs (my opinion only) to find a good mentor to help them along. I have listened to breeders that I have bought rabbits from and was lead in the wrong direction. Teats on a boar hog were more useful than their comments. They want to sell you the bird or rabbit. This is my opinion only.

You may have been picking the wrong Breeder to buy from. If you are going to go a certain direction, heading that direction from the beginning is beneficial.

As far as color goes. Lots of things will affect the color of a photo, lighting, etc. even monitors will vary.

Dan

I agree with walt take thee to a show for less than $20 im going to get the straight truth from an apa lf judge!!!! Just sorry my darn k lost his tail in a fight with an antique vette!!!
yes the gas/time too but there are many more opportunities for you in midwest to show than in new england!!! Someday ill have a set up like jan brett but for ebb now im only starting!!! Patience and preserverance!

I agree with walt take thee to a show for less than $20 im going to get the straight truth from an apa lf judge!!!! Just sorry my darn k lost his tail in a fight with an antique vette!!!
yes the gas/time too but there are many more opportunities for you in midwest to show than in new england!!! Someday ill have a set up like jan brett but for ebb now im only starting!!! Patience and preserverance!

Yes but why do you have to wait until it is show time to get your bird evaluated.You could be going in the wrong direction until show time. I think pictures are a good way to point out the color, comb, waddles, feet, and overall appearance of your bird it is up to the owner to get a photo of the animal that is as close to the color as possible. I personally would like opinions from a picture than going blind into a show. Then when the judge looks at my birds he/she can give me more pointers. If a person has a SOP they should know a little about the breed they are showing. The person also needs (my opinion only) to find a good mentor to help them along. I have listened to breeders that I have bought rabbits from and was lead in the wrong direction. Teats on a boar hog were more useful than their comments. They want to sell you the bird or rabbit. This is my opinion only.
Like i said that was my opinion only everyone has one.

I just said it was better......lol

If you can't wait, post a picture and hope the person evaluating it actually knows one end of a chicken from the other. You will really be going in the wrong direction if someone gives you some incorrect online evaluation based on a picture of a chicken. Getting a good picture of a chicken is very difficult....getting the color of the digital picture to match the chicken is almost impossible.

Finding a good mentor is a very good idea.

Walt

I just said it was better......lol

If you can't wait, post a picture and hope the person evaluating it actually knows one end of a chicken from the other. You will really be going in the wrong direction if someone gives you some incorrect online evaluation based on a picture of a chicken. Getting a good picture of a chicken is very difficult....getting the color of the digital picture to match the chicken is almost impossible.

Finding a good mentor is a very good idea.

Walt
Ditto all this. My Jersey Giant mentor has asked me to send her a video rather than pictures when she is helping me evaluate a chicken. I think it's much easier to evaluate via video, but that's just my personal opinion.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom