The Buckeye Thread

Fan of Buckeyes for years... Finally able to dedicate properly the time to the breed (as well as a couple of other heritage breeds) and will be picking up my start at the end of the month! Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

Matthew Burpo

Hi Matthew.
smile.png
What other breeds are you interested in?

Last edited by a moderator:

This was my second year at the ON. I learned a lot the last two years and can't wait to return next year and enter our own buckeyes. I just wanted to personally thank Jeff Lay for answering my questions and making this newbie feel comfortable. He is a great mentor and man in general. I had so much fun. Here is a pic of some handsome men, friends, mentors and a special hero. I have lots of pics to sort through and will post later.

Start saying what you like about a bird and build on that.

I did; they had a nice wide chest and they fell apart after that. But hey; I look at the breed much differently than most. Best of breed is great and their are many people that get ecstatic to get best of breed but I want more! Getting the breed to the next level drives me! I look at it as: what is going to take to get me past the rocks, wyandottes, RIRs, ect. What was in the pens in Columbus didn't have what was needed to get them there! Don't get me wrong; I'd love to have seen a buckeye advance what I've stated is why they didn't. That doesn't make me a bad guy. If people choose to listen, that is great and good luck. I'll be more than happy to help. If not; their choice but don't get mad when all you can get to is Best of breed and you can't figure out why didn't advance!

Last edited:
Ok silly question Chris. Popes nose...are you talking about the actual popes nose?!?!?

Or is this a chicken term? I've never heard it before. Trying to understand some of the terms.

He
Jeff Lay showed Buckeyes at this ON, didn't he? How did he do?

He got is but kicked; but he had fun doing it! I think he had the number 2 cockerel and number 2 pullet. Not bad for the first time going to the nationals and is 2nd or 3rd time showing. I looked at them and told him he could of done better; not bad for yard birds though. The goofball is capable of producing so much better than he showed! He has some nice birds!

Last edited:
This was my second year at the ON. I learned a lot the last two years and can't wait to return next year and enter our own buckeyes. I just wanted to personally thank Jeff Lay for answering my questions and making this newbie feel comfortable. He is a great mentor and man in general. I had so much fun. Here is a pic of some handsome men, friends, mentors and a special hero. I have lots of pics to sort through and will post later.
Good lord that's a motley crew! That orange kool aide shirt is still very funny. Lol

Jeff Lay showed Buckeyes at this ON, didn't he? How did he do?

I spoke with Jeff Lay at length yesterday. I don't want to misquote him. But basically from what I remember, he entered this pair to see what the judges from a very large show thought about these particular birds. This cockerel had won champion of show in two seperate small scale shows. I believe they were 4H. He just wanted the judges opinions. And the cockerel got reserve variety. 2nd place cockerel. The pullet got reserve variety. 2nd place pullet. And I might also add that he had already given the pair away before judging started. He is a very generous long time buckeye breeder who has helped many children get into the breeding of standard bred poultry. Those children are the future of this fabulous breed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom