The Buckeye Thread

Quote: That's kind of right, but there is no reserve variety for Buckeyes. When a breed only has one variety Best of Breed is best of variety. There are four classes: Cock, Cockerel, Hen and Pullet. When one bird is picked for Best of Breed, the bird that took second to BoB is automatically considered along with the first place birds from the other classes for Reserve, but it is not automatically awarded Reserve Best of Breed. At the ON, a cockerel went Best of breed. Jeff's bird was considered for Reserve, but the Judge chose the pullet for the honor.

It's always fun to get new people interested in your favorite breed(s). I like to get Junior exhibitors their birds early enough that they easily have enough time to breed their own birds for a show, and if that isn't practical, at least far enough in advance that they can get full credit for raising them. But people appreciate nice birds anytime.

Last edited:
I spoke with Jeff Lay at length yesterday. I don't want to misquote him. But basically from what I remember, he entered this pair to see what the judges from a very large show thought about these particular birds. This cockerel had won champion of show in two seperate small scale shows. I believe they were 4H. He just wanted the judges opinions. And the cockerel got reserve variety. 2nd place cockerel. The pullet got reserve variety. 2nd place pullet. And I might also add that he had already given the pair away before judging started. He is a very generous long time buckeye breeder who has helped many children get into the breeding of standard bred poultry. Those children are the future of this fabulous breed.
There was only one variety of Buckeye. The judge will place pullets, cockerels, hens, cock birds separately. This is done in each variety if this applies (variety is color.) Then will go through and pick Best Variety if it applies(, which in this case, does not.) He got 2nd cockerel and 2nd pullet, but not Grand or Reserve anything.

The judge will then go back through and pick Best of Breed and Reserve Breed, which in this case was Laura Haggarty BB and Daniel Conrad RB. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
There was only one variety of Buckeye. The judge will place pullets, cockerels, hens, cock birds separately. This is done in each variety if this applies (variety is color.) Then will go through and pick Best Variety if it applies(, which in this case, does not.) He got 2nd cockerel and 2nd pullet, but not Grand or Reserve anything.

The judge will then go back through and pick Best of Breed and Reserve Breed, which in this case was Laura Haggarty BB and Daniel Conrad RB. Hope this helps.

That's kind of right, but there is no reserve variety for Buckeyes. When a breed only has one variety Best of Breed is best of variety. There are four classes: Cock, Cockerel, Hen and Pullet. When one bird is picked for Best of Breed, the bird that took second to BoB is automatically considered along with the first place birds from the other classes for Reserve.
Well, I am sorry for being new to this whole showing area, but the judge wrote RV on both of those cage cards. I also thought that I clarified this in my original post by saying reserve variety and 2nd place pullet/cockerel. I am not trying to take anything away from Laura Haggarty or Daniel Conrad, but I was answering a question that was addressed to me by cgmccary about how Jeff Lay did in the show. Please understand that I have been to 2 shows in my entire life. I am not an expert as to the terminology of the show world. I am learning and thankful to gentlemen like Jeff Lay and Joe Shumaker for allowing me to ask questions and mentoring and preparing for the 2014 show season. I may make newbie mistakes, but am thankful to the members of a certain group who are understanding and laughing with me and not at me.

I'm afraid that as much as I would have loved seeing everyone I was not able to attend. I see you were, but not your birds. That's a shame, I'm sure that with your understanding of what a Judge looks for you would have won handily and probably gone on to garner Best in Show. Maybe next year, right? :)

Still, in light of how many times Buckeyes have been shown when there was only one exhibitor, I think it's a pretty big deal to muster that many at a show as prestigious and well known as the ON, especially since those numbers did in fact represent lines from different breeders. IMHO, that's what makes a poultry show interesting. Not just having one spectacular bird to win with, but bringing a representative sample of what the breeder produces. (It's also why I'm not terribly impressed with someone buying or borrowing a bird just to show.) It would appear that the judges found enough variety in the entries that they were able to place the classes.

As for whether or not the birds were barnyard fowl, it's just me, but I like to keep in mind the Buckeye's origins according to Nettie: "I never aspired to a show breed, my object being utility qualities only; but the great beauty of the buckeyes is a sore temptation, and in the future mere show birds will be produced yearly." (emphasis mine) Her addition of the word "mere" makes me think that despite it's attractiveness, she thought less of exhibition birds and that she prized utility first and foremost.

" I see you were, but not your birds. That's a shame, I'm sure that with your understanding of what a Judge looks for you would have won handily and probably gone on to garner Best in Show. Maybe next year, right?"

You never really know but I kind of doubt it! I do have a pretty good understanding of the breed. Maybe you should check out my website. The link is in the signature line of my posts. The ohio nationals really is not a great place for the buckeye (IMO) but hey you never know! If you get one actually right. It just might make it.

As far as my birds not being there; like Chris I could not commit an entire weekend to a poultry show for farm and family reasons. I did however have a couple hours to go and look. I wanted to see what the noise was all about and see the birds personally. I did and that is that. Next year? Maybe if they get a new set of judges which is desperately needed, IMO! The same judges year after year make things pretty predictable.

"Still, in light of how many times Buckeyes have been shown when there was only one exhibitor, I think it's a pretty big deal to muster that many at a show as prestigious and well known as the ON, especially since those numbers did in fact represent lines from different breeders. IMHO, that's what makes a poultry show interesting. Not just having one spectacular bird to win with, but bringing a representative sample of what the breeder produces. (It's also why I'm not terribly impressed with someone buying or borrowing a bird just to show.) It would appear that the judges found enough variety in the entries that they were able to place the classes."

That comment regarding one spectacular bird was directed at me but hey; no matter what I've brought or how many I've brought he does very well. Surely you wouldn't leave a proven bird at home? Plus, it was under several different judges so its all good. I've managed to get 3 different birds (all were bred and produced in my breed program) to the top of the class in a two year span so its better than only getting one bird to do it all.

It's not like I have birds that place reserve American one week and then can't place the following?!? I really appreciate consistency!

The ON can be fun. I was able to get a bird to champion row there a few years ago! It was fun!

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I could've gone to ON this weekend, but other duties called. I just want a backyard flock and I'm leaning towards buckeyes. Pathfinder's glowing words in another thread has convinced me.

I currently don't have chickens or even a coop yet. I'm easing slowly into it, but my husband is on board!

I'm just not sure where to get my birds. Are hatcheries bad places? If I buy from there, am
I helping to conserve the breed by my interest? As much as I want a self sustaining flock, I doubt I will have one, as my husband doesn't want a rooster. So, I'd be getting eggs and meat and maybe buying chicks every year.

Thanks in advance.

Natalie

Well, I am sorry for being new to this whole showing area, ... I may make newbie mistakes, but am thankful to the members of a certain group who are understanding and laughing with me and not at me.
No one is laughing at you. I gave you a very neutral, plain jane reply to explain how the judging works. You have made it quite clear you are a "newbie" (your term, not mine) and I would have thought you would want to know. I'm sorry you were offended by that.

Well, I am sorry for being new to this whole showing area, but the judge wrote RV on both of those cage cards. I also thought that I clarified this in my original post by saying reserve variety and 2nd place pullet/cockerel. I am not trying to take anything away from Laura Haggarty or Daniel Conrad, but I was answering a question that was addressed to me by cgmccary about how Jeff Lay did in the show. Please understand that I have been to 2 shows in my entire life. I am not an expert as to the terminology of the show world. I am learning and thankful to gentlemen like Jeff Lay and Joe Shumaker for allowing me to ask questions and mentoring and preparing for the 2014 show season. I may make newbie mistakes, but am thankful to the members of a certain group who are understanding and laughing with me and not at me.
No one was laughing at you, my dear. I can only control what I say, not how it is perceived. I was simply letting you know how the placings work, an thought it was respectfully done by both myself and Melody. I've been in your shoes, and not so long ago.

Back
Top Bottom