The Buckeye Thread

Jeff Lay, Grand Poohbah as we call him lol, of the American Buckeye Club wrote about Mr. Blockbergers Bantams over 5 years ago and Chris' source is confirming Mr. Lay's previous article provided to the ABC members.

Thank you Chris for doing research and confirming what I had stated and Jeff had relayed to our group. There is a wealth of old knowledge out there. Finding the right resources is key to helping us build the breed and understand the origins.

There were also the Pierce and Rhodes lines of buckeyes in the 70's on the east coast which I understand were large flocks.

I will PM you to find out more about what the bantams of that time consisted of or you could share on here so that all can benefit from the information. :)

Most people recount things without firsthand information. I reported my first source. As most of you would, I consider Matt Lahmon to be a good source of information. As you can see from his post, he remembered things differently. I did not talk to Mr. Mongold, but a reliable person who knew him phoned him at my behest.

I have talked with Mr. Urch on several occasions and what he says often conflicts with what others report.

In fact, many things get reported wrong. I also talked with John Brown in 2009 at great length about his Buckeyes, the Buckeyes in the show that year, etc. John Brown was reported to have been a long-time keeper of Buckeyes and even referred to as a legend breeder for Buckeyes which turned only to be the year 2000.

I do not mind finding the source and going to the source if that is possible.

Quote:
We have one of those Grand Poos too, lol. I emailed Laura H & asked her, and she corrected me that her understanding was Blockberger & Mongold only recreated the Bantams too. She has Bantams and had them in the past & knows a good deal about them.

Most people recount things without firsthand information.

Well that is true!

[/quote]
I reported my first source. As most of you would,  I consider Matt Lahmon to be a good source of information.
[/quote]
Some opinions may differ.....
In post #1632 Chris you wrote " I consider Matt Lahmon to be a good source of information. As you can see from his post, he remembered things differently." This appears to be a contradiction. Please explain.
I don't understand. You say he's a good source of information, but he remembered things differently?

[/quote]
In fact, many things get reported wrong. 
[/quote]

That may be relatively true; unfortunately without documented materials; this still remains an opinionated statement.

[/quote]
I also talked with John Brown in 2009 at great length about his Buckeyes, the Buckeyes in the show that year, etc. John Brown was reported to have been a  long-time keeper of Buckeyes and even referred to as a legend breeder for Buckeyes which turned only to be the year 2000.
[/quote]
"Keeper"; that's a convenient choice of words; I know the man personally and he is a bit more than a "keeper"! I would hold his knowledge of poultry to excel that of Mr. Schreiders! Even if what you say is true, that puts him BREEDING buckeyes longer than anyone I know with the exception of a few HATCHERY breeders!
[/quote]

I would like to add that Mr. Brown's buckeye strain has been in part on champion row more than any other strain to date with the exception of Mr. Lay's birds. Not bad for just a keeper.

Last edited:
My buckeyes are happy happy happy that it is above freezing here. I couldn't stand to tell them to expect 3 inches of rain in the next few days. Then back to freezing and below.

Same here JoshU. Calling for 2-4 inches of rain and then snow on Sunday and 20's. The hens are going to be confused. This crap is hard on the birds

Quote:
All of the above is strictly your opinion. Where is your proof? I would agree with your opinion that I used a bad choice of word with "keeper," sorry about that. Mr. Brown is in every sense of the word, a true breeder. Respectfully, however, I do not agree with some of his opinions of the breed (shorter legs for instance or breeding from females with black on their surface all over). I also do not like his crossing of Cornish into the strain. I think this has led to some problems. Does he still have LF Buckeyes? He didn't a few years ago. He only had Bantams.

Quote: Where is your proof? WRITTEN proof? Perhaps on CH row when there is not other Buckeyes from multiple/ other strains entered. Ever won BB in a show with more than 25 Buckeyes entered? If yes, where & when? Ever on CH row at Ohio National? Ever BB at Ohio National? {ON always has the most Buckeyes every year}. What about in a head-to-head with other strains where there was Buckeye competition (i.e. other strains)? What show? Where? When?

What show has JL ever gotten even Best of Breed? Reserve of Breed? Name one show. If one has been breeding Buckeyes since 2004, they don't have a strain, they have their own line but still is of whatever strain their birds originated. If "B" has taken "A's" line and improved it, won at some show, then that is not "A's" line winning -- it is "B's" improved line winning.

Also, there were Buckeyes on CH row in 2013 in a Oklahoma show, and in Nebraska, in Tennessee, & on the West Coast (WA) before that -- Are you taking those wins into account? I get some of the show reports so I see that you, I and Laura are not the only ones out there winning with Buckeyes in the past couple of years. Some of these shows have between 10 & 20 Buckeyes entered, far more than these smaller shows. Do you know what strain those winning Buckeyes are?

The only reason I call it a strain (Brown) is because it has been significantly altered with grading in the Cornish and other breeding choices. Do not take me wrong. I think all the different strains add something to the breed and are important. I am glad they all exist, & I have appreciation for each one. I do not have to agree with every aspect of each breed strain to have respect for the rest of you. I have seen some lines of Brown strain Buckeyes that were nice. I sincerely hope that one day, Joe, you can come to accept other Buckeye strains /lines besides your own.

FWIW, a single ALBC strain male of Schrider's won Res. American at the Ohio National (2007) - 4,350 birds; Champ American, Res. Large Fowl at the Winston-Salem, NC, show - ~1200 birds; and Champ American, Champ Large Fowl at the Sandlappers Show, SC - ~900 birds. Three different judges! It is not like DS selected a show with the same judge or who favored his birds & showed only at those shows.

Good Luck with your Buckeyes!

Back
Top Bottom