The Buckeye Thread

Hello to all.
big_smile.png
I'm looking for Buckeye breeders in central to northern Indiana and southern Michigan. I've since contacted JoshU who said there are people over here who breed Buckeyes so I'm putting the call out to help put me in touch with said breeders.

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you and Peace!

Good morning goodb I'll send you a pm about Indiana folks :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a reminder everyone:

Quote:
This includes links to breed clubs' websites in the body of posts.

Thanks!

Well, yesterday I found Echo (closest) had laid her first egg. Her comb and wattles had finally started forming. I found my first buckeye egg in the nesting box with our Wyandotte's egg.

Unfortunately today while they were free ranging, she got grabbed by a Coyote. :( She was the sweetest bird and gained her name because she would make the sweetest little songs with her voice. My wife and I have cried over and over this morning. We gathered her feathers and are going to bury most of them, all but a couple tail feathers, and have a little chicken service. This is our first loss, and I am shattered. She was my favorite bird, a bit on the small side, and would always follow me looking for treats; she was a meal worm vacuum cleaner! I am so glad that she left us her first egg before she was taken.

Had to share this with you because I knew you'd understand my pain.

Anyhow, predator control will now take a front seat.

Well, yesterday I found Echo (closest) had laid her first egg. Her comb and wattles had finally started forming. I found my first buckeye egg in the nesting box with our Wyandotte's egg.

Unfortunately today while they were free ranging, she got grabbed by a Coyote. :( She was the sweetest bird and gained her name because she would make the sweetest little songs with her voice. My wife and I have cried over and over this morning. We gathered her feathers and are going to bury most of them, all but a couple tail feathers, and have a little chicken service. This is our first loss, and I am shattered. She was my favorite bird, a bit on the small side, and would always follow me looking for treats; she was a meal worm vacuum cleaner! I am so glad that she left us her first egg before she was taken.

Had to share this with you because I knew you'd understand my pain.

Anyhow, predator control will now take a front seat.

Aww what a shame. So sorry!

Wow sorry!!! I had best roo taken by owl
Thats why i got a turkey
Have not had to deal w coyotes
Maybe you could get one of those portable premier fences around $170

Thanks

Yeah, I read about the electric netting . . . They love to be out and range, but I have to protect them better, now especially since the word is out that there is warm meals here. Will be looking into sectioning part of the yard with some electric fencing I believe.

Thanks for the link.

Also, anybody that is looking to get rid of any good tempered buckeye hens that are not quite fitting their goals for the standard etc, or for whatever reason, I would love to give them a good home. I will be getting some chicks as they come into season, but in the mean time I would love to get the remaining two a new friend of the buckeye sort. :)

Sorry for your loss.

I keep the coyote out for the most part with fencing. AN occassional intruder but the losses have decreased since putting up the fence. 4 foot mesh fencing.

Dogs-- walk the property line with a dog. He'll pee repeatedly and the coyote are less likely to cross into another dogs area.

My kids have chased after a coyote with a hen in his jaws-- not sure who was running faster: a youngeter determined to get his friend back, or the coyote avoiding the screaming thing with a bat. OR me running thru the house to get to the child to stop him. SHeeesh, chasing coyote is not a childs job.

So sorry to hear about your loss - today hasn't been a good day for Buckeyes. I had a as of yet unidentified predator - either a dog the size of a St. Bernard or a possible wolf - who tore the door off of one of my little breeder huts and killed Lady, an absolutely beautiful Buckeye. The creature then maimed the roo with her, Tressel, also a very nice Buckeye. The critter then got into my duck barn and killed 3 ducks and maimed 7 more. I had trackers out to try to find the critter. The dog warden was here and they are fairly sure it is a single large dog or like I said a wolf. Which, we don't usually have wolves in our area. At first they thought it was a bobcat, but too much carnage for a cat. I feel your pain, we have cried all day as we picked up the pieces and treated the injured.......hugs!

Back
Top Bottom