The Buckeye Thread

Chickendriver,

You need to let us know where you are geographically in case someone is nearby that can re-home a hen or pullet to your coop. Also, read on the site here about Livestock guardian animals. On our place we have a donkey (jenny-sue) as well as dogs... both have run off whatever critters don't belong here.

Last edited:
Chickendriver,

You need to let us know where you are geographically in case someone is nearby that can re-home a hen or pullet to your coop. Also, read on the site here about Livestock guardian animals. On our place we have a donkey (jenny-sue) as well as dogs... both have run off whatever critters don't belong here.

Can't do a donkey, so sometimes, instead of playing rooster, I play the part of the jackass! lol, but really if I could have a donkey, I would in a heart beat. I have looked into the dogs today, and heard plenty of posts referencing them here and on FB.

I am in Albuquerque NM, Thank you so much.

So sorry to hear about your loss - today hasn't been a good day for Buckeyes. I had a as of yet unidentified predator - either a dog the size of a St. Bernard or a possible wolf - who tore the door off of one of my little breeder huts and killed Lady, an absolutely beautiful Buckeye. The creature then maimed the roo with her, Tressel, also a very nice Buckeye. The critter then got into my duck barn and killed 3 ducks and maimed 7 more. I had trackers out to try to find the critter. The dog warden was here and they are fairly sure it is a single large dog or like I said a wolf. Which, we don't usually have wolves in our area. At first they thought it was a bobcat, but too much carnage for a cat. I feel your pain, we have cried all day as we picked up the pieces and treated the injured.......hugs!

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry. I feel depleted after working in the yard to increase security and also dealing with all of the emotions, and I have only lost one! I am convinced it is time to buy a guard dog too.

I am so sorry. Thanks for the hugs, God knows I need it. Good luck mending your hurt birds.

Thanks for sharing in my pain, as odd as that sounds, and as sad as I am that you are having to share in it.

Matt

Last edited:
Sorry for all the losses and injuries you all are dealing with. It's a tough winter and the wild animals are out in full force.

I also really like the electric netting for free ranging. You can reposition it as needed to get the hens on fresh ground. I'd get the double-spike kind, easier to get in the ground. It won't stop aerial predators and it won't keep them safe at night, but it's a big help for the daytime.

I will look into this for an option until I am more predator proof. I will start looking up types and searching the forum. I know Laura Haggarty has mentioned hers before, and others since this event too. Thanks

Sweet!!

I am hopefully getting a batcho fo chicks this year--- I feel like a kid at the candy store.

On another note-- does anyone have Rhodes birds??
I don't know of anyone that has Rhodes birds. As you know, he doesn't do a lot of selling and hatching anymore. If you do get a chance to get some, you would have some unique buckeyes. I hope you are successful at getting some from them.

I haven't been on lately. I've been very busy with the weather and work. My buckeyes are ramping up production again and I am hoping to get an earlier start on hatching this year than I did last year. I still have some butchering to do. Last year was a crazy year for me and I never could come close to being caught up, even with the help of a dear young woman. I want to wish everyone a great successful year with your birds and your lives in general. I think this is going to be a big year in the show pens for buckeyes. Good luck and God Bless.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom