The Buckeye Thread

YOu are right he nit as active as he once was, but he still sells hatching eggs. ANd I do have his cellnumber. Just need a few minutes to screw up the courage to call him-- a bit daunting. I've only talked to him a couple times . . .
Well I say if you are serious about buckeyes, and would like to have his line to work with, that you just call him and ask if you could schedule a meeting with him. That you would like to talk buckeyes and see what happens. Most poultry men would always make time for that.

Hello all. I haven't been on in awhile as I'm traveling a lot right now. Hope all are staying warm and the chickens have faired well up north after our Arctic freeze.

Our buckeyes faired extremely well and we are prepping for the next three weeks as they are warning another deep freeze is coming.

Eggs are in the bator and everyone seems to be ready to pump out the eggs like clock work even with the cold temps. Even the six month old buck pullets joined in. We are hoping for a great hatching year to recover from the fox last year.

Show season is coming and we have several that are looking good to come out and play.

What is everyone else's plans for spring? Shows? Lots of hatching? Or just trying to stay warm?

Hi! Can someone tell me, are these black feather tips normal? I have two Buckeye hens and was planning on getting more and breeding them, so is this a trait I don't want passed on?

Hi! Can someone tell me, are these black feather tips normal? I have two Buckeye hens and was planning on getting more and breeding them, so is this a trait I don't want passed on?
The black on the surface color like that is not the desired, but I would be more concerned with all that fluffiness, especially around the bottom/drumstick area. The feathers should be a bit tighter than that.

Do the Buckeyes lay eggs naturally in the winter? When I say naturally I mean,without being feed Pellets. I have a few hens but only my Golden Laced Wyandotte lays naturally in the winter.

My buckeyes molted late fall and are ramping up now. I'm not sure what you mean about pellets but they should get a layer ration no matter the season. Foraging alone is not enough for any breed in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom