The Buckeye Thread

An even better question might be....rather than trying to solve the copyright/public domain question, why aren't y'all discussing breeding strategies, or sharing notes on what works with this beautiful breed as far as single mating, or how to resolve issues?
hu.gif

An even better question might be....rather than trying to solve the copyright/public domain question, why aren't y'all discussing breeding strategies, or sharing notes on what works with this beautiful breed as far as single mating, or how to resolve issues?  :confused:
Good questions. I've just caught up and was wondering the same thing. One would think we would be discussing the vision of Nettie and how the breed matches today and not worrying about copy rights?!! IMO. :)

Lovely...the deep South is frozen.

So it started snowing yesterday morning at about 10 am. It didn't stop until 6 pm. Since the temp never got above 23F every stinkin' flake stuck. We ended up with about 3.5-4".

Now all y'all up north might say "well whoop-de-stinkin'-doo, 3.5-4" ain't nuthin!" but down here, where any snow quickly turns to a sheet of solid ice, and where folks who are trying to drive lose all sense and reason and end up driving like joy-riding tweenies or turned over in the ditch, or both- this kind of weather is dangerous to human kind.

The Buckeyes are in HEAVEN. They aren't just tolerating the weather, they're reveling in it!  Chicken tracks in the snow to the compost heap, chicken tracks in the snow to the wood lot, chicken tracks in the snow to the barns....you get the picture.  All my geriatric cocks and hens have a spring in their step and a little extra shine to their eyes. The laying hens are going nuts, I'm picking up as many daily eggs as I did last november and we still have some who haven't come out of late molt. Even at winter solstice, even without artificial lighting, our girls gave at least a half dozen daily.

Of the 17 eggs that made it to lock-down 16 hatched and all are healthy robust little things. Even with power failures that caused complete cool down of the eggs for >8 hours (not once, TWICE), not a single weak chick, not a single splayed leg, crossed beak, poorly formed head or any other visible defect.  From the first one that hatched Saturday morning to the last one that hatched Sunday morning, these chicks practically jumped out of their shells! I'd look in one minute (through a view window) for pipped eggs and an egg would just be pipped and then less than an hour later when I would go back to check for more pips, the chick would already be zipped and out!

I love this breed.

I used to live in NC so I know how it goes down there when snow falls. The world stops, animals suffer and it feels bone chilling.

In thinking about this I wonder how southern buckeyes differ genetically stamina wise from northern bred. Is it harder on southern than northern because they are used to milder winters?

I know in OEGB we have bought from down south we have to baby them up here for them to make it through the winters. By second generation offspring the mortality rate falls.

Off track a bit, and if this has already been posted, my apologies. But - does anyone have a picture of Nettie they might post here? I see y'all chat about her a lot, it would be neat to have a visual of the woman if at all possible.
smile.png

She was a remarkable woman. She's still inspiring breeders nearly 100 later
smile.png
I hope you all are breeding these wonderful birds with her and her vision in mind.

She was a remarkable woman. She's still inspiring breeders nearly 100 later :)  I hope you all are breeding these wonderful birds with her and her vision in mind.

When I look at mine I remember her descriptions of her vision and ask do mine match closely and also match sop? The dark color that looks almost black in the shade and dark garnet red in the sun....got it :). Type, and egg laying it's there.

Do I have things to work on absolutely. No breeder can say they have no improvements to make.

My mentor and Nettie are my guides ;-)

As far as my breeding strategy goes, I believe the only way to really breed for improvement successfully, you have to single breed. I am not knocking anyone who has a different setup such as flock breeding or trios or quads. I just know that for my plans, I have to be very selective in my breedings. To do this, I have 3 pairs that I am breeding this year. I will collect eggs for 1 month. As those are incubating, I will rotate the roosters. By the time the first sets hatch and get on the ground, I will have more ready to go in. I weight 2 weeks minimum after each rotation to make sure that the old semen is gone before hatching new ones. As they hatch they get toe punched as to who their mother and father are and I then know within a few months what combination worked the best. Any that are faulted, I can trace to who is throwing faults. It is really not difficult at all. Just a little organization and tracking. If flock bred, you cannot assertain who is the culprit for faults with any certainty.

When I look at mine I remember her descriptions of her vision and ask do mine match closely and also match sop? The dark color that looks almost black in the shade and dark garnet red in the sun....got it :). Type, and egg laying it's there.

Do I have things to work on absolutely. No breeder can say they have no improvements to make.

My mentor and Nettie are my guides ;-)
I've found and read a little bit of her writings and I really enjoyed it. Her writing style and descriptions are wonderful! It's a treasure she left for you all, her letters, writings and breed descriptions. It's a wonderful guide for today's breeders and that letter Joe posted a reminder that I feel applies as much today as it did back then when she wrote it. The focus should always be on the breed and how to breed the best and that should be priority in all breeds, not just the Buckeye.

Check out my website below in my sig line. It provides the info on my lines and my show results for the past couple years. I primarily breed Lay and Brown lines. You can also see how I view the color of the buckeye. right or wrong?!? I feel strongly in my views and it is hard to debate the overall results. I believe all lines have their merits; it boils down to how they are bred. IMO, I encourage people to be cautious with ALBC lines; I'm sure there are a few respectable birds in breeders hands but from what I've observed; the vast majority are not worth spending the time and energy with. They are very poor examples of the breed. Often the color is poor and they tend to have excess plumage (far to fluffy). Buckeyes are supposed to have tighter feathering. For what it's worth; that information is good to know going into acquiring new fowl. I encourage everyone to do their own research to ensure they find a respectable breeder and not a peddler. As for me selling fowl; I am building much larger numbers and don't sell eggs or chicks at this time.

Thats for the info!
I'm still searching and researching this breed. Its a hard time of year to find any breed available but I seem to be having no luck for even reserving some chicks for later in the year.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom