The Buckeye Thread

Thats for the info!
I'm still searching and researching this breed. Its a hard time of year to find any breed available but I seem to be having no luck for even reserving some chicks for later in the year. :idunno

Minniechickmamma should be able to help look at the website blueface or myself have in our tag lines.

Minniechickmamma should be able to help look at the website blueface or myself have in our tag lines.

I've been emailing the breeders on the directory and its been unfortunately no response, none available, or a large waiting list (which I happily wait on!) but it is uncertain if any time this season I would get them. Have my finger crossed for a few more breeders to get back to me : )

As far as my breeding strategy goes, I believe the only way to really breed for improvement successfully, you have to single breed. I am not knocking anyone who has a different setup such as flock breeding or trios or quads. I just know that for my plans, I have to be very selective in my breedings. To do this, I have 3 pairs that I am breeding this year. I will collect eggs for 1 month. As those are incubating, I will rotate the roosters. By the time the first sets hatch and get on the ground, I will have more ready to go in. I weight 2 weeks minimum after each rotation to make sure that the old semen is gone before hatching new ones. As they hatch they get toe punched as to who their mother and father are and I then know within a few months what combination worked the best. Any that are faulted, I can trace to who is throwing faults. It is really not difficult at all. Just a little organization and tracking. If flock bred, you cannot assertain who is the culprit for faults with any certainty.

I love your system. I've never understood how to make improvements and move forward if you don't know who the parents are!

As far as my breeding strategy goes, I believe the only way to really breed for improvement successfully, you have to single breed. I am not knocking anyone who has a different setup such as flock breeding or trios or quads. I just know that for my plans, I have to be very selective in my breedings. To do this, I have 3 pairs that I am breeding this year. I will collect eggs for 1 month. As those are incubating, I will rotate the roosters. By the time the first sets hatch and get on the ground, I will have more ready to go in. I weight 2 weeks minimum after each rotation to make sure that the old semen is gone before hatching new ones. As they hatch they get toe punched as to who their mother and father are and I then know within a few months what combination worked the best. Any that are faulted, I can trace to who is throwing faults. It is really not difficult at all. Just a little organization and tracking. If flock bred, you cannot assertain who is the culprit for faults with any certainty.

I really like this system as well. Since my pens aren't done yet, I was thinking about how I could incorporate something like this in my limited (allowed) space. While I have plenty of room "to" do it, the family isn't always on board with chicken ideas. Although I think they are coming around. How much space do you give each pair?

Minniechickmamma and I are talking : ). For some reason the thread wasn't updating me on her sale page. So I was very excited when I saw her respond
celebrate.gif

I really like this system as well.  Since my pens aren't done yet, I was thinking about how I could incorporate something like this in my limited (allowed) space. While I have plenty of room "to" do it, the family isn't always on board with chicken ideas. Although I think they are coming around. How much space do you give each pair?

Give them as much space as possible. A portable 3x3x3 tractor is sufficient if you can move them around on fresh grass. Just keep a couple things in mind. Fresh air draft free and shelter from weather and precipitation.

Give them as much space as possible. A portable 3x3x3 tractor is sufficient if you can move them around on fresh grass. Just keep a couple things in mind. Fresh air draft free and shelter from weather and precipitation.

Thanks!
Most of my moveable tractors are at least that, so I can give this tactic a try. It certainly seems much easier to keep records for. I'm all about record keeping. This might also be more suitable for me, since my large pens are immoveable. I might use those pens for rearing young birds and leave the tractors for the breeders. Do you notice if the time the rooster's are off the hens during a switch that their feathers stay nice? Or do you occasionally have to pull some rooster's out of their tractor at additional times? Or apron the hens?

I PMd you Shalom.

I did go out and find more eggs from hens who weren't laying already. Now to make sure there is good fertility. I have put some eggs in but nothing growing in them yet, but with temps staying in the negatives so much, that doesn't surprise me.
I do have a waiting list started, so I hope they all get on board soon.
We have snow falling right now and expected up the 3" when it is done. Then the wind is supposed to blow, and that is the part I really hate! I looked on the Farmer's Almanac and things don't look too promising in the coming weeks either. :(

Thank you!

Yea the weather has been crazy. I got a beautiful Rooster for my layers. This weather has pretty much snuffed any chance of me hatching anything from them. They are all on winter vacation. I was so eager to see what this Roo produced but looks like I'm going to have to wait xD.

Back
Top Bottom