The Buckeye Thread

Our laying flock fluctuates between 40 and 50 hens so it really doesn't take too long to fill up the hatching cabinet.  Freezer camp will be packed out come June (can you say Buckeye on the Barbecue?). We'll pay for all of this good living in the south when summer rolls 'round and it's blinkin' 99 degrees with 99% humidity so don't get too jealous....

Buck on the Barbie....can't wait :). I lived in NC for seven years so I know about the paying for it portion.

Today was an exciting day for me. I got my very first buckeye. He is a roooster and he is a little skiddish right now but hopefully he will calm down. He was fed corn all winter and now has really bad feather quality. Is there anyway to fix it? Like high protons and high nutrient feed would fix it right? Any help would be appreciated.

Aaron

Today was an exciting day for me. I got my very first buckeye. He is a roooster and he is a little skiddish right now but hopefully he will calm down. He was fed corn all winter and now has really bad feather quality. Is there anyway to fix it? Like high protons and high nutrient feed would fix it right? Any help would be appreciated.

Aaron

Worm him, seven dust for mites. Then put him on 16-18% layer, add corn and black sunflower seed. Hopefully you will see an improvement in weight and feather quality from following that. If not then it's genetic for poor feather quality.

Worm him, seven dust for mites. Then put him on 16-18% layer, add corn and black sunflower seed. Hopefully you will see an improvement in weight and feather quality from following that. If not then it's genetic for poor feather quality.

In addition to this advice, these changes will only apply to his next round of feathers - he'll molt the yucky feathers eventually and the new batch would reflect the better feed. The feed can't repair the feathers he's wearing now, so the questioner will want to be patient.

Last edited:
A question for everyone---

What is the laying season for the BUckeyes you have . . . meaning when do the hens start laying and when does she quit and molt? I'm particularly interestest in extending the laying season without artifical lighing.

What is the laying season for the BUckeyes you have . . . meaning when do the hens start laying and when does she quit and molt? I'm particularly interestest in extending the laying season without artifical lighing.

It should depend on where you live. I have my first Buckeye this year, only one pullet, and she started laying 3 weeks ago. She is 8 months old. I live 80 miles north of Seattle.

My bucks start laying in August and Sept as pullets and lay throughout the winter and spring months up till it starts getting hot out and they slow down a little but continue laying even during the molt. My hens start up around October and lay consistantly up till June/July when it starts getting hot. The slow way down during the molt but will lay. The older the hen, the less she will lay. Each hen will lay a clutch of approximately 12-16 eggs and take a week or so off to rest and continue again laying. Even through this terrible cold spell this past winter, the hens are not really phased by it. When the wind chill got down to -30F, the stopped for a few days but started right up again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom