The Buckeye Thread

The diagnosis of broody has been confirmed for my turkey imitator. I pull eggs every day but she still went insane about a week ago. She is still insane. Yesterday when I let the girls out she was sitting on the nest and threw her "pluffy fit" while still sitting. When she finally did get up, she had laid an egg and had also pulled the big orange plastic egg under her, sumething they had all rejected long ago. Someday I hope to get my chicken back. In the meantime, I am enjoying having a turkey that lays chicken eggs.

Gotta love broodies, I have 3 of them at the moment. Not bad considering I only have 8 hens
hmm.png
She's not going continue laying while broody, so you have a choice: make use of the incubator or break her broodiness and get your hen back. If you choose the former, leave her and watch what she does. If she's still at it after at least 2 days and sleeps in the nest box as well, then give her some eggs. I've seen broodies change their minds after sitting 24 hours or more.

These are Standard Bred Lay Line chicks. I hatched them from eggs bought from Jeff Lay. 29 went into lockdown and 25 hatched (including the Buckbar pullet).
very nice, i just hatched Lay chicks last Tuesday. Had Great hatch as well! Jeff is really a great guy full of info lol.

These are Standard Bred Lay Line chicks.  I hatched them from eggs bought from Jeff Lay.  29 went into lockdown and 25 hatched (including the Buckbar pullet).

Bloody marvelous hatch rate for shipped eggs!! Great job and shows the parents are healthy and eggs were well packed!

Sweet!! He is full of great info and a great guy. Glad to hear you had success as well :)
Yes he is! Mater of fact I just spoke with him a few minutes ago lol. I have the fortune to only live 30 min from him and pass his place every time I go to work! Talk about having the resources in your own backyard
yesss.gif

Jeff Lay definitely is a great guy, and a super knowledgeable breeder. He is also kind hearted, generous, and a fount of information.

I love the fact that he has been breeding buckeyes to standard AND for utility. After all how could they be Lay buckeyes if they don't (lay eggs). The eggs where large and weighed average 2 1/4 oz.

I have been waiting months for these eggs. I would not send them by mail. I drove up and got them and took the occasion to visit my sister who lives in Ohio.

Back
Top Bottom