The Buckeye Thread

He's a pic of a 11 week old cockerel that is really growing out nicely. I finally got one to stand still. I walked over and he let me pick him up; he weighs 4 1/2 lbs.....he shows great promise with a full breast and big thighs.
Bump

The final verdict is in. 10 of 12 were indeed Roos. The fighting got out of hand so we shipped five off last week to friends. Tomorrow we probably will reduce by 4 or 5 more. Next quest is to get some more hens to add to the ones we have. 10 for 12 doesn't seem like normal odds?

That's just bad luck! If you hatch 100's of eggs and add them all together, you'll eventually average 50/50, but in the meantime all you can do is roll the dice and keep your fingers crossed. I hatched 13 eggs under a broody earlier this year and got 10 females and 3 males, someone I know got 7 males and 1 female out of an 8 eggs hatch. Anything is possible.

interested in how well it does around here as i also live in findlay. Good to know there are likeminded people nearby!

I live in Ada and my girlfriend works in Findlay. Let me know if you would like some buckeyes this fall when I narrow down my breeders or in the spring when I am hatching.

As far as the whole mousing thing goes, buckeyes don't seem to hunt any more than any other breed of chicken. I have silkies that love eating mice. They are all opportunists. If anything that will fit in their beak scurries by, all fowl will give it a peck.

Every buckeye home should have some dark red birds in the yard. Nice to meet you both on here.

I would love to get some hatch-lings and mommas come spring preferably late Feb to early march if that works just need ballpark prices and maybe some pics of the flock if possible.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom