The Buckeye Thread

Did you know that if a bird is a carrier of Mareks it then transfers to its "offspring" genetically? Science/genetics are fascinating things.
You may want to research this a bit more deeply. Marek's itself has no vertical (through the egg) transmission.

Did you mean to say that the maternal resistance is transferred to the chicks for their first few weeks of life?

Here is a link to the Merck Vet Manual
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/neoplasms/mareks_disease_in_poultry.html?qt=MDV&alt=sh

IF you check the last sentence in the paragraph "Transmission and Epidemiology" you will see the vertical transmission reference.

And from that same article for someone who was skeptical of this fact and probably won't read down that far:
Quote: Cell associated vaccines are the ones given at the hatcheries to day-olds that must be kept at -170* (yes, that's 170 degrees below zero). They are not the same as the ones the public has access to, which according to the vet at the University of Kentucky, are of very limited use to us (he used stronger terms). Consumers cannot get that cell-associated vaccine. Just an educational FYI tidbit that most people are not aware of.

Some pictures of the Buckeyes we are raising. They did the best this year I must say. I had an awful strain of Cocci late summer and not a single Buckeye developed it. One hardy breed!

This is probably the only breed I kept back enough birds to choose my breeders for next spring. They may be young yet (8-10 weeks), but I love the size of them for this age!

this one is 6 weeks

The oldest cockerel from this years hatch - around 22 weeks.

same cockerel as above.

And from that same article for someone who was skeptical of this fact and probably won't read down that far:
Cell associated vaccines are the ones given at the hatcheries to day-olds that must be kept at -170* (yes, that's 170 degrees below zero). They are not the same as the ones the public has access to, which according to the vet at the University of Kentucky, are of very limited use to us (he used stronger terms). Consumers cannot get that cell-associated vaccine. Just an educational FYI tidbit that most people are not aware of.

First Intersate Vet has talked about this many times. I don't know why folks don't go to reliable sites that are specific to the problem to find the proper info. I am a poultry health inspector for the State of CA and no one on this thread believes anything I say.....hahahah They would rather listen to random posters who have had chickens for a year and zero credentials. They probably also think the vaccine backyard people can get works. The USDA just recently recommended that backyard flocks stop vaccinating for Mareks as it is worthless. This can all be easily verified...as opposed to some of the stuff being posted.

Walt

How was your show Walt?
I always enjoy shows.. Not good for me in the exhibition part. Res Waterfowl with a Call duck. Got beat by a kid with an outstanding Rouen young duck......ahahahaha. I didn't have any chickens ready to show yet....won't for a couple more shows. My grapes were a month early, the leaves fell a month early, but the chickens are two months behind in development for some reason. Are you showing an Asil or two at ON?

Walt

No, I noticed a VERY nice stag running around when I got home yesterday. He is starting to "bloom" I've got a few others that are coming but aren't ready....I may take a couple down to TN if I choose to go. The only ones I raised this year are those dark aseels. I'll put 4-5 pens together this breeding season, I'm really liking what I'm seeing...I'm only taking a pair or two of LF bucks to the ON. They are pretty nice....I hope the cockerel that I really want to take finishes!! He's better than anything I've raised in the past.

Last edited:
Butch Gunderson out of WI judged here in Ohio last weekend and told me that the male that did well last weekend is one of the best buckeyes he has seen in a VERY long time....told me to keep it up! It was the first bird he handled and the last one he wanted to in the largest LF class present.

Butch Gunderson out of WI judged here in Ohio last weekend and told me that the male that did well last weekend is one of the best buckeyes he has seen in a VERY long time....told me to keep it up! It was the first bird he handled and the last one he wanted to in the largest LF class present.

Good! Butch knows large fowl. If you bring some to Knoxville I'd love to see them.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom